Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Isolate Analog Grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dqhuy

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I use microcontroller to measure high voltage DC so I need to isolate GND1 of high voltage to GND2 of the microcontroller. Can anybody suggest the way to do. Thank in advance.

i always use optocouplers for such case

Fire in the Wire :idea:

4N35, 6N1236 and other optocouplers are usually used in digital signal isolation but this is analog signal.

Make sure that the two (low voltage and high voltage) sections do not share their GROUND paths. TO achieve this, route the two sections seperately and bring the GROUNDS to a common point.

Also ensure that the trace catering to high voltage/ power has enough isolation (distance) and strengh (trace width).

This should do the job.

I hope that this helps.

bimbla.

Depending on how high your DC voltage is you could either isolate analog with e.g. an ISO 122 or ISO 124 or go digital with the A/D converter on the high voltage side. In this case you could use optocouplers or better ADUM120X from Analog Devices (very fast and easy to handle). You will probably need a DC/DC converter to power electronics on the high voltage side.

One option is to use "lnear optocouplers" .. see picture below ..
More detals you can find at:
**broken link removed**

As an alternative, have a look at isolated amplifiers:
https://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/iso124.html

Both options will provide at least 1000V isolation barrier ..

Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.