Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moved]: DC DC Converter parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkkrish52

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to build a switched cap step down converter with CG 1/2. I dont know how to choose transistor size and flying capacitor size along with frequency. Any one familiar with this issue? Help needed

What are the voltage and current values

Dear Crutschow,

The supply voltage is 3.3 V and Load current is 1 mA. Output voltage is 1.65 V. I am unable to select the strength for the switches and size of capacitors

Hi,

what voltage drop is tolerable and what switching frequency do you use?

"strength of switches"
I don´t think this is a technical terminology
You mean ON-resistance?
--> voltage drop = resistance x current. Mybe you need to take duty cycle into account.

"size of capacitor"
capacitance.
The higher the capacitance the less ripple voltage.
delta_V = t x I / C
t = time where the capacitor needs to supply the load current
I = load current
--> the higher the frequency, the smaller the capacitance you need. The higher the allowed ripple voltage the smaller the capacitance.

Klaus

Klaus,

Tolerable voltage drop - do you mean voltage ripple? it can be 1-3 mV.
The strength of the switches - on resistance - I dont know how to choose the aspect ratio W/L for the switches. Can you explain the relation between duty cycle and the switch width.

Thanks for your help Klaus

HI,

I assume you posted in the wrong section.
Is it a power application? Or are you designing an IC?

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I am design dc dc converter as a part of power management block in an IC. Sorry if i have posted in the wrong section.

Gopal

Status
Not open for further replies.