Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Topology selection for the primary coil driver for WPT system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhl777

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All, I have one question regarding the topology selection for the primary coil driver for WPT system. I saw in a lot of papers, people use Class E PA to drive the primary power coil, mainly for biomedical applications. While in some industrial products, people use full bridge to drive primary coil, such as https://www.idt.com/products/power-management/wireless-power/wireless-power-transmitters/p9235a-wpc-112-wireless-power-transmitter-ic-tx-a5-and-tx-a11.

Would anyone advise me
(1) what is the considerations in determing the topologies?
(2) if I just want to have the system functional with a DC input voltage, can I say from theory any DC-AC inverter that can generate sine voltage to apply to the coils should work?

Thank you!

Output power of standard Class E inverter = 0.58*Vi2/Rload

Output power of standard H bridge inverter with series LC network = 0.8*Vi2/Rload

H bridge topology has 1.4 times more output power capability for the same input voltage and same load resistor than the Class E inverter. Besides that, the H bridge's transistor has to block a maximum voltage of "Vi" while the Class E Inverter's transistor has to block a maximum voltage of 3.5*Vi (for e.g. 60 V input, the transistor has to block 210 V !!!). This is the main reason that the Class E inverter is not used in high power applications, but the H bridge is.

The conclusion is this one:
Class E --> high efficiency, high frequency, low power => useful in biomedical applications
H bridge --> high power, lower frequency => high power applications

Reactions: bhl777

bhl777

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Output power of standard Class E inverter = 0.58*Vi2/Rload

Output power of standard H bridge inverter with series LC network = 0.8*Vi2/Rload

H bridge topology has 1.4 times more output power capability for the same input voltage and same load resistor than the Class E inverter. Besides that, the H bridge's transistor has to block a maximum voltage of "Vi" while the Class E Inverter's transistor has to block a maximum voltage of 3.5*Vi (for e.g. 60 V input, the transistor has to block 210 V !!!). This is the main reason that the Class E inverter is not used in high power applications, but the H bridge is.

The conclusion is this one:
Class E --> high efficiency, high frequency, low power => useful in biomedical applications
H bridge --> high power, lower frequency => high power applications

Hi CataM, would you tell me where can I find your equations online? Or would you explain to me briefly how these two equations are derived?
(1) Output power of standard Class E inverter = 0.58*Vi2/Rload
(2) Output power of standard H bridge inverter with series LC network = 0.8*Vi2/Rload

Thank you!

Hi CataM, would you tell me where can I find your equations online? Or would you explain to me briefly how these two equations are derived?
(1) Output power of standard Class E inverter = 0.58*Vi2/Rload
Look for publications by Nathan Sokal, the inventor of the class E amp, for derivations. 0.58 is in the case where your load Q approaches infinity, 0.5 is a more realistic result.
(2) Output power of standard H bridge inverter with series LC network = 0.8*Vi2/Rload
A full bridge produces a square wave with amplitude of Vi. The fundamental component of the square wave has amplitude 4/π*Vi (see the fourier series of a square wave). So the Power associated with the fundamental component is (4/π*Vi²)/2RL, or 0.811*Vi²/RL.

Those equations make the H bridge seems better, except when you consider how many FETs it takes to build each circuit (one for class E, 4 for Hbridge). The choice should mainly come down to: can I hard switch my devices efficiently at my operating efficiency? If so, H bridge is fine. If not, use a soft switching class like E or current mode D.

Reactions: bhl777

V

bhl777

Status
Not open for further replies.