Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building my own 1x to 16x PCIe riser: what do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elektro2

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello :-D,
due to lot of people mining cryptocurrencies, there has recently been a huge demand for 1x 16x PCIe risers like this one:
**broken link removed**

I wonder how much difficult would be to make these risers myself: they don't seem to be particularly complicated. After all they are just a couple of connectors/adapters soldered on a pcb without any data processing component or any complex thing happening under the hood... I feel like I could build one of that myself by simply soldering/adding parts after I find a way to make the PCBs

The first question I have is how to build those PCBs, in particular the little one with that particular shape (it is a 1x PCIE connector shape). Do you think a Gerber file could be enough to describe that type of pcb/connector?

Of course my idea would be to design the PCBs and send the gerber file to a company like OSH park or similar. Do you think company like that are able to create the PCBs exactly with that particular shapes? I could then solder the components myself and
sell them on ebay...do you see this as a viable business/idea?

Thank you for your answers

Best Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back