Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design a switch mode DC\DC converter for Automotive Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhargav6

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I am working on project, to design a circuit

A 12V-48V automotive battery will be Vin for this switch mode DC\DC converter (IC) .

I found a few ICs from LTspice (3790, 3882) which can have parallel operations to generate more output current.

I wish to use Micro-chip micro-controller which has CAN transceiver, to further send this to ECU which will have different loads on it ...

Suggestions welcome on selecting a proper IC (switch mode dc dc converter)

with Vin -- (4V to 50V)

Vout (less than , equal too the Vin )
and Iout (upto 6A) ...

Thanks in advance

Both Texas Instruments and Linear Technologies have a wide portfolio of vehicle-grade controller chips.

Some ICs have the switching transistor internally, others are designed to drive an external Mosfet.
Because of the relatively high current, I would recommend you to choose the latter.

Go to any of those two companies website, and using their online selector tool, choose one device which meets your requirements (which includes cost).

For instance:

https://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/power-ma...-external-switch-products.page#p238max=48;100

Both Texas Instruments and Linear Technologies have a wide portfolio of vehicle-grade controller chips.

Some ICs have the switching transistor internally, others are designed to drive an external Mosfet.
Because of the relatively high current, I would recommend you to choose the latter.

Go to any of those two companies website, and using their online selector tool, choose one device which meets your requirements (which includes cost).

For instance:

https://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/power-ma...-external-switch-products.page#p238max=48;100

Hello,

I came across TPS40170,

which I wish to use in my application as DC\DC buck converter. I plan to use it in Automotive application. The aim is also to monitor the input currents. (Can a Hall effect current sensor be used ?)

Does this Switching regulator (regulation IC ) deal with digital input interface ,if it is SPI interface

Is it possible to use for the feedback not from the output, instead from the input ? , used by IC to control its output

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• tps40170.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 114

Status
Not open for further replies.