Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[AVR] ATMEL AVR USB programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ieee_2017

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I Have my old ATMEL AVR programmer which uses 25 DB parallel port, is it possible just to use parallel port to USB converter and connect it to USB port is it possible to work on USB this way?

Best Regards
ALI

Hi,

I don't think so, because the timing of the usb-to-parallel is not precise enough.

Klaus

Former parallel port programmers did this by accessing the physical BIOS addresses of the LPT1 / LPT2 ports, while the recent USB/PARALLEL converters do so through proprietary API's based on device drivers that no longer have access to those addresses, which are unavailable at nowardays mainboards. I find it unlikely that the same programming software you used in a compatible DOS environment in the past will be able to operate on current protected operating systems.

Thanks Klaus, Thanks Andree. In this case i might go for a ready made USB programmer or i might assemble one myself. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.