Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multicast address in 10 Gig Ethernet IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

beginner_EDA

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I already know what multicasting is: one sender several receivers.

I am trying to understand what should I do to opearte 10Gig IP core from Xilinx as multicast address.
https://www.xilinx.com/support/docu...n_gig_eth_mac/v15_0/pg072-ten-gig-eth-mac.pdf

in page 44, it is mentioned that:
"The least significant bit of the first octet of a MAC address determines if the address is an individual/unicast (0) or group/multicast (1) address. "

Any idea how to set this?

in page 44, it is mentioned that:
"The least significant bit of the first octet of a MAC address determines if the address is an individual/unicast (0) or group/multicast (1) address. "

If you have a MAC address as DA 01 02 03 04 05, then it is a unicast address since the 1st octet which is DA, its LSB is 0 (DA = 1101 1010).
For multicast, just choose the LSB of the 1st octet to be 1.

Any idea how to set this?
Have you taken a look at the eg_design simulation? In the TB somewhere they must be defining a 48bit constant and defining the MAC address. Find it and change it.

hi dpaul,
this is ovious but the thing is:
it is used in one of reference design from xilinx which I am using:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1199-smpte2022-56-over-ip.pdf

and in this reference design, this is what they used about MAC address in microblaze:

Code:
#define EMAC1_BASEADDR 0x7C400000
#define EMAC2_BASEADDR 0x7C500000
#define FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG 0x410
#define MAC_FAULT_BITS 0x30000000
#define FI_BIT 0x08000000
#define FI_BIT_MASK 0xF7FFFFFF
void toggle_EMAC_fault_inhibit(void)
{
int reconciliation_reg = 0;
reconciliation_reg = Xil_In32(EMAC1_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG);
if (reconciliation_reg & FI_BIT){
FI = 0;
xil_printf("\r\nFault Inhibit: Disabled\r\n");
Xil_Out32(EMAC1_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG, reconciliation_reg & FI_BIT_MASK);
Xil_Out32(EMAC2_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG, reconciliation_reg & FI_BIT_MASK);
}
else{
FI = 1;
xil_printf("\r\nFault Inhibit: Enabled\r\n");
Xil_Out32(EMAC1_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG, reconciliation_reg | FI_BIT);
Xil_Out32(EMAC2_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG, reconciliation_reg | FI_BIT);
}
}
void Enable_EMAC_fault_inhibit(void)
{
do{
Xil_Out32(EMAC1_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG, Xil_In32(EMAC1_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG) | FI_BIT);
Xil_Out32(EMAC2_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG, Xil_In32(EMAC2_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG) | FI_BIT);
} while (((Xil_In32(EMAC1_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG) & Xil_In32(EMAC2_BASEADDR + FAULTINHIBIT_OFFSET_REG))&FI_BIT_MASK) == 0);
}

and I didn't understand what need to be changed here for this purpose.

In this doc https://www.xilinx.com/support/docum...56-over-ip.pdf, as I see it, in Table 5 some stuff need to be set. The first 4 MAC address there (Primary and Sec) are unicast addresses. You have to change these values via s/w I guess, to set your multicast address.

Understand the s/w flow, what it does at each step, and then change it accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back