Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

driving angle for a half bridge rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

julian403

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I was doing this exercise from power electronic circuits by Rashid.

imagen1.PNG

It's a battery charge's circuit. You can see there that there is a half rectifier bridge and There is a driving angle call alpha because the battery potential difference.

If the secundary transformer voltage is - 60 sen (2 Π 60 t) [V] - and the battery's voltage is 12[V]. The way to find alpha for me is:

\[\alpha = {sin}^{-1} (\frac{12[V]}{60[V]}) = 0.201 rad\]

But the Rashid instead use the peak value which in this case is 60[V] use the average value. Why?

imagen2.PNG

Where do you see average value? According to waveform drawing, Vm is peak value.

Also, use the proper terminology.
It is not a driving angle. That term is only relevant for thyristors or transistors.
For a simple diode, it is conduction angle.

I'm not trying to be fastidious. But when you start to study thyristors, it is very important that you properly differentiate between the two terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.