Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I need to use AXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

yw21century

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My team is designing a algorithm IP which need high throughput continuous data transaction, say, 64bits@800MHz or even higher. We plan to implement a DMA controller in this IP and use it to connect to DDR to perform high data-rate read/write transaction. What I want to know is should I use AHB or AXI protocol for this DMA. I have a legacy DMA IP which is using AHB and this IP can be used easily w/o much effort. But I heard that AXI is better for co-working with DDR as it can combine multiple bursts from AXI Master (say 16 beat for each burst) to one DDR burst which has much longer burst length (say, 256 beats for for each burst) by taking use outstanding method to remove extra wait time between each burst significantly.

I just want to know if my understanding is correct. Please give it a hand as we are under tough schedule requirement

AXI is better in this case.
There are AHB to AXI converter IPs from various vendors which can be used.

AXI is better in this case.
There are AHB to AXI converter IPs from various vendors which can be used.

Thanks for response!
Can such converted IP capable to initilize outstanding transaction in AXI side although AHB don't has such capability?

Please read the AMBA AXI specification. I don't have all AXI features at my finger tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back