Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is power supply fully mains isolated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I don´t find the information:

Only in the web site for
Product No: LSP-500VAC
they say:
• Applied with isolated floating output technology, the power output and input have good isolation, floating output, conducive to make sure power itself safety and operator’s safety;

But this does not mean that the 1kV type uses isolation, too. But it is likely.

Klaus

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
AC - DC -AC Frequency conversion technology used in LPS-1KVA AC Power supply.
So it should be completely isolated output from input. voltage variation from input to output is 140V to 290V, Normally power supply should be isolated if the difference in voltage is more than 50V.

T

Normally power supply should be isolated if the difference in voltage is more than 50V.
Concluded from? Specific safety regulations? Or just an expectation?

T

I just connected 289k between the earth output , and the live output of this power supply (the one in the top post) and have current flowing through that resistor....so it can't possibly be isolated, do you agree?

Hi,
and have current flowing through that resistor.

The question is: How much current and how much voltage?
If it is below 0.1mA then it may be called "isolated"...
But if it is 10mA, then one may doubt this.

But for 10mA and a 298k resistor you´ll need 2980V... which you don´t have. --> the 298k is no suitable resistor to test this.

I recommend to switch OFF power and perform an isolation test.

Klaus

it was four ~75K resistors in series and each had 55v across it...so thats 0.73mA from earth to live.

That surely does not constitute mains isolation?

i dont see how we can switch it off and check for isolation, as there may be active switchs in there etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.