Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Output valid delay timing and maximum float delay time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ku637

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i was going through i486SX processor datasheet,

They are specifying terms like Output Valid delay timing and Maximum Float delay timing.
Im new to microprocessor/FPGA/CPLD designs.

I just wanted to know what exactly these terms mean?
Im just writing below that it might mean..can some body please clarify?

Output Valid delay-Your output will be valid after the CLK edge after the specified time?
Float Delay- The bus will return /released to float state after the CLK edge after the specified time?

How this will be impacting in the design? Will it create signal integrity issues?

Thanks for any help,

outvalid.JPGfloatdelay.JPG

Output Valid delay-Your output will be valid after the CLK edge after the specified time?
Correct, also known as "output delay".

Regarding the "float delay" - looks like it's the required "hold time". I.E : the minimum time that the data remains valid after a clock edge.

How this will be impacting in the design? Will it create signal integrity issues?
These are the timing requirements of the digital circuit - You simply have to ensure that there're properly met.
Failing to meet them may cause - "data integrity" problems (incorrect sample data)

It has nothing to do with "signal integrity". Although "signal integrity" issues can definitely cause timing problems.

Thanks for the support.. I came to know that float delay can also be critical, in case of interactions with peripharals and can cause bus contention. slow/fast peripherals may try to access the bus slow/fast compared to the processor read/write may cause errors if not properly designed.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back