Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bandwidth enhancement method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priyanka Garg

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

i want to know how can i increase the bandwidth of the patch antenna at a particular resonant frequency. i have attached the results.

thank you

wlan_wimax.jpg

There's a fundamental relation between antenna size and maximum bandwidth of electrical small antennas. If you are already scratching this limit, there's no chance to increase the bandwidth without adding artificial losses.

Hi,
I would suggest the addition of some parasitic elements close to your radiating element , or to etch slots whether in the ground plane or in the front in order to enhance the bandwidth.
Good luck!

what kind of slots can i etch? does it require certain dimensions corresponding to the resonant frequency?

Hi,
As you might know the antenna design is an 'error and trial ' process so it is hard to say which ones you must try, instead I would recommend you to start with the most used slots such as the strip, T, L..etc
for the dimensions they are usually taken lambda/2 or lambda/4 .
Good luck!

Bandwidth of patch antenna can be increased by increasing the gap between antenna element and ground plane underneath it.

Hi,
As you might know the antenna design is an 'error and trial ' process

I was about to say it is an art, rather a black art. If you can get it right you can become even famous.

We usually want the antenna to be tuned but you want a broadband antenna. But then you cannot have it resonant at all frequencies.

Perhaps I am missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back