Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Sensing in water..

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-logic

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
need helpin designing a circuit to use 12v ac as sensing for inputs for 555 flipflop, i am am experiencing current drop when its passed through water..
please suggest me examples

the low and high sensors are indicated L & H respectively

water level auto_0.jpg

Your schematic does not show the location of sensing electrodes in water tank.
Depnding on mineral content in water, its conductivity varies. Distilled and de-ionized water is highly resistive while sea water would rather short the electric circuit.
Size and shape of sening electrodes is important as well as their distance in water tank. Take a DVM and measure electrode voltages, then adjust the circuit to operate.

the sensors are located and top and bottom levels assuming it as 1.5 m tank, common sensor placed at the bottom.. circuit design is much expected

I have had better success at this, by using a power mosfet to operate a relay.

The gate is held at source potential via a high value resistor shunted with a zener diode (to protect the gate) and the relay stays off.
When the probe touches water, even the most minute current will turn the mosfet on.

Its then just a case of arranging a suitable potential between source of the mosfet and the water, either ac or dc will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.