Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is better - VHDL or Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvind25

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts,

I wanted to ask a broad question - which is better: VHDL or Verilog. I have intermediate knowledge of both. Which will be better to progress into, in terms of industry usage ( RTL Design, DFT etc) and future growth.

Thanks,
Arvind Gupta

If are fluent in one, then the other will come quickly.
But most people dont care about what language you can write, they care whether you understand the hardware you're creating, irrespective of language.

If you're going for verification, then you need SV and UVM.

But most people don't care about what language you can write
That's probably correct if a professional design engineer examines your resume.
But he is rarely the person that does the initial assortment.
Your Resume will have to get approval from an HR person. And they tend to follow a very "buzzwords oriented algorithm".

I suggest you pick an HDL based on what's used more by the industry in your location.
But really, the more important thing is to understand the concept of HDL and how digital circuits work.

I would say SystemVerilog, just because SV adds features that significantly expand on Verilog. IMO, more that VHDL2008 expands on VHDL. (though VHDL2008 does expand on VHDL)

VHDL2008 expands on VHDL
With a total of one and a half engineers working on the integration of the 2008 standard into synthesis tools - it isn't even worth mentioning.
If VHDL was an IC - it would have had a "not recommended for new designs" sticker on it long ago.
It's continued to be learnt in universities and many HW positions list it as a requirement - so I don't believe it will show any signs of death in the following 10 years.

But as to "evolving" - it stopped.

That's probably correct if a professional design engineer examines your resume.
But he is rarely the person that does the initial assortment.
Your Resume will have to get approval from an HR person. And they tend to follow a very "buzzwords oriented algorithm".

I suggest you pick an HDL based on what's used more by the industry in your location.
But really, the more important thing is to understand the concept of HDL and how digital circuits work.

In my market, job specs usually go up with all the buzz words - Altera, FPGA, XILINX, VHDL, Verilog
even if the company only uses Altera chips using VHDL. They usually dont care about language skills, they want technology skills

In my opinion everything boils down in the region you are likely to take up work.
e.g.- In Asia & the USA Verilog is used more than VHDL. In Europe VHDL is much more used than Verilog (taking about the small and medium-scale industries).
If there is a hiring necessity and the requirement is with VHDL, then the tech. mgr. will at least give you an interview call if you have certain no. of. years of exp. with Verilog (and no VHDL).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.