Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply to provide negative voltage - considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

diligence

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

If I have to supply -3 V to a circuit, can I just flip the power terminals on the power supply and expect the power supply to source current as needed to run my circuit.
By flipping I mean, connect the ground of my circuit to the positive on the power supply and connect the negative terminal (node requiring -3V) of my circuit to the gnd of my power supply.

Now the question is, can any power supply source the necessary current to run my circuit or do I need to know any specific feature of the internal construction which will allow this kind of sourcing of current & also provide the negative voltage for my circuit to run. For example if I use a DAQ board which has a digital pin output from 0 to 5V, for this application, can it source the current & provide the negative voltage necessary for my circuit?

Very confused question. What does "if I use a DAQ board which has a digital pin output from 0 to 5V, for this application, can it source the current & provide the negative voltage necessary for my circuit?" even mean?

First of all, yes a power supply can supply negative voltage if the (+) and (-) terminals are isolated from ground. Like flipping a battery. BUT if the negative terminal is connected to ground then, of course, you CAN'T use if for a negative supply unless everything else in your circuit is isolated from ground. I think you need to sketch something up just to get yourself straightened out.

Hi,

for sure you can any floating +3V supply use a -3V supply.

Current: you just need to know the current consuption. The supply shoud be rated for more current than the application needs. Independent of positive or negative supply.

A digital output pin is not meant to supply a ciruit with power.
Althouh - as long as you keep within the specifed range - it could work.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.