Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] why interference occurs in X-Band (8-12 GHz) radars and satellite communications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhammad idrees

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all;

my question is that "what are reasons for interference occurrence at X-band (8-12 GHz) frequency used for satellite and radar communications?"

Secondly:

How X-Band interference can be mitigated? Please Mention the techniques that are employed for interference reduction.

With Best regards:
Muhammad Idrees

Hi to all;

my question is that "what are reasons for interference occurrence at X-band (8-12 GHz) frequency used for satellite and radar communications?"

Secondly:

How X-Band interference can be mitigated? Please Mention the techniques that are employed for interference reduction.

With Best regards:
Muhammad Idrees

Interference occurs when unwanted emission occurs in frequency bands used for receiving low-level signals.
In the X-band, for example, the frequency band of 9.0- 9.8 GHz is reserved for radio location, therefore most radars operAte there. One section, 10.00 to 10.25 GHz is reserved for radio-amateur communication, and certain other services like industrial sensors operate there.
For satellite communication, 10.7 to 12.7 GHz is reserved for down-link communication, and no other service is allowed there.
If an interference occurs, it means the operator failed to meet the regulations (or some emitters are intentional), and state frequency agency is authorised to prosecute such illegal emission.

In general, interference can be mitigated by using larger antennas or interferometers that can reduce the signals coming from certain directions, using screens, sometimes filters and in terrestrial links by redesigning the technical parameters to counter stray signals.

Licensing frequencies and patrolling their use is a task for state agencies which receive money from licensing and taxes. Users are directed by law to use their systems carefully and not to cause interference to other users.

Interference occurs when unwanted emission occurs in frequency bands used for receiving low-level signals.
In the X-band, for example, the frequency band of 9.0- 9.8 GHz is reserved for radio location, therefore most radars operAte there. One section, 10.00 to 10.25 GHz is reserved for radio-amateur communication, and certain other services like industrial sensors operate there.
For satellite communication, 10.7 to 12.7 GHz is reserved for down-link communication, and no other service is allowed there.
If an interference occurs, it means the operator failed to meet the regulations (or some emitters are intentional), and state frequency agency is authorised to prosecute such illegal emission.

In general, interference can be mitigated by using larger antennas or interferometers that can reduce the signals coming from certain directions, using screens, sometimes filters and in terrestrial links by redesigning the technical parameters to counter stray signals.

Licensing frequencies and patrolling their use is a task for state agencies which receive money from licensing and taxes. Users are directed by law to use their systems carefully and not to cause interference to other users.

Thanks a lot sir;

sir actually i want to write problem statement in my research proposal which is related to x-band.
i have designed filter for interference mitigation at x-band with notch at central frequency 10 GHz.
Now the problem i am facing is i could not finding out the exact problem statement.

Actually x-band ranges from 8-12 GHz so many applications are running in this band like military and government users and x-band radars, weather radars, polices radars, also x-band is used for satellite communications etc. These may cause swear interference in the whole band. what is the effect of rain fading on x-band satellite communication and other environmental effects?

kindly tell me the effect of interference of these individually.

if the information would be properly managed in the form of problem statement i will be be thankful. secondly refer me to some useful links for study related to my problem.

Thanks a lot sir;

sir actually i want to write problem statement in my research proposal which is related to x-band.
i have designed filter for interference mitigation at x-band with notch at central frequency 10 GHz.
Now the problem i am facing is i could not finding out the exact problem statement.

Actually x-band ranges from 8-12 GHz so many applications are running in this band like military and government users and x-band radars, weather radars, polices radars, also x-band is used for satellite communications etc. These may cause swear interference in the whole band. what is the effect of rain fading on x-band satellite communication and other environmental effects?

kindly tell me the effect of interference of these individually.

if the information would be properly managed in the form of problem statement i will be be thankful. secondly refer me to some useful links for study related to my problem.

As you can already see, the problem is rather complex. I have studied propagation problems in the 1970s, and now there are many books and papers devoted to it.
Most solutions are included in the ITU Orange Book series, use Google for more.
Dispersion in precipitations does contribute to interference, also by depolarization
and forward scattering .
Using filters is only sometimes useful as the receivers are using low-noise LNAs making then more vulnerable to interference.
I think the problem is quite wide and can be a good base for a Ph.D. thesis. With digital communication, even more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back