Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do we get after potential after a pulse is applied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVenky

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The waveform of the pulse is not ideal instead it has an after potential (ie. the peak is extended further). Why do we have this after potential?

Thanks in advance.

Are you referring to a particular field of electronics?

Can you give a little more context and cut and paste what you read? Are you referring to a purely electrical phenomenon, as in a wire, or a physiological one, as in repolarization after a nerve impulse? What is the polarity of the after pulse? Is it a single pulse or oscillations?

John

I don't think this has anything to do with the bio medical field. I have seen this effect before even in electronics. Instead of getting a pure pulse or ideal pulse, we get a pulse which goes beyond the level (below 0V for example). I think it has to do something with the capacitors but I have forgotten about it and I couldn't quite recall. Could you please help me out?

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion the term "applying a pulse" is very unclear, I even don't understand if you are referring to stimulation or monitoring of electrophysiological signals. To discuss deviation from an "ideal pulse", you need to know how an ideal should look like.

Forget about the bio medical part. I am generating a pulse wave ( 0 to 5V). I don't get ideal waveform. Instead the voltage is below 0V when there is a 5V to 0V transition. What is the reason behind this?

Without know more details, I suspect what you are talking about is "ringing." The examples in which you have seen the phenomenon almost certainly have both capacitance and inductance. Here is an experiment/tutorial from Agilent that demonstrates the effect:

http://www.home.agilent.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/exp6j.pdf?&cc=US&lc=eng

Is that what you are talking about? For many more examples, search on inductive ringing.

John

I am generating a pulse wave.
How? Generator circuit? Pulse width? Rise time? Load? Probe connection? Oscilloscope bandwidth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back