Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how does a step down transformer in series 110V primary behave powered by 220V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

headman333

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How does a step down transformer in series behave, where each transformer rated at 110V primary take 220V?
Each transformer secondary is 12-0-12V.

It isn't good practise to connect transformers in series although technically it is possible. If two idential transformers with 110V primaries are wired in series and fed from 220V, *AND THEIR SECONDARY LOADS ARE IDENTICAL* it will work, each primary will still have 110V across it.

As soon as you change the loads on the secondaries, the primary imedances will change and the primary voltages will no longer be equal, one will have more voltage than the other and you risk damage.

Brian.

What is your concern? What are you trying to achieve or avoid?

I want to know if connecting in series two transformer will consume more power or not compared to connecting it in parallel (I am talking about the whole power that will be consumed by the amplifier). Also how will the fuse in the primary be affected in with such connection. I'm building a power supply for my power amplifier... I have two 220/120 to 12V transformer available at hand and I want to juice the maximum power I can take from it.

Last edited:

I want to know if connecting in series two transformer will consume more power or not compared to connecting it in parallel
Under conditions described by BETWIXT (see post above) you can connect two transformers in series or in parallel (identical windings, balanced loads etc) and the available power stays the same ..
P = P1 + P2

:wink:
IanP

Attachments

• Transformers in parallel.JPG
    Transformers in parallel.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 117

What supply voltage you are planning to take out from this transformer ? You can use either single 12 volts winding for out put or you can use 24 volts (end to end of secondary) but you can connect two 110 volts primary in series (as a practical use) while taking output from one transformer, as said by betwixt, you may get your circuit harmed.

What supply voltage you are planning to take out from this transformer ? You can use either single 12 volts winding for out put or you can use 24 volts (end to end of secondary) but you can connect two 110 volts primary in series (as a practical use) while taking output from one transformer, as said by betwixt, you may get your circuit harmed.

I'm planning to have 33.9Vdc at no load from one transformer and a -33.9Vdc at no load from the other transformer at 24Vac end to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.