Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

back-annotated timing simulation vs. static timing analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

beingbobbyorr

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
At my company, we have some FPGA & ASIC designers that insist on using BATS (back-annotated timing simulations) to prove timing, because they have trouble wrapping their heads around (read: trusting) STA (static timing analysis).

I want to demonstrate to them the lack of path sensitization and propagation ( to primary outputs of the design ) that these back-annotated timing simulations are producing. Would standard code-coverage metrics ( enabled with compiler options in the script of an HDL simulator ) be the way to go? Or are there other tools/methods? I think these designers are fooling themselves that they're getting a high percentage of 'toggle activity' on his internal nets just by observing that they're doing a walking-1's/0's test on some input pins.

Put another way, I'm looking for the back-annotated timing simulation equivalent of the way fault grading works for testability analysis to ferret out controllability/observability issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back