Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reworking a microwave oven transformer for low voltage high current use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davelectronic

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
Has any member tried to re work an old serviceable microwave oven transformer.
I am interested as i build psu's a fare bit, and i have heard these transformers re worked for all sorts of projects, i am aware they are a high voltage unit, the examples ive seen have the secondary winding rewound with heavy gauge SWG/AWG enameled copper wire.

I would like to build a high current air cooled power supply based on a reworked MOT ( microwave oven transformer) I am particularly interested in other members having tried and succeeded in building a high current 13.80 volt psu from one of these. Dave. :smile:

Microwave oven transformers are designed with artificial high leakage inductance (magnetical shunt) to achieve a high output impedance, similar to a welding transformer. Without modifying the core configuration, they aren't well suited for constant voltage supplies.

Before removing the high voltage secondary to rewind it with a heavy gauge wire; connect it in reverse, mains to the high voltage winding.
Measure AC voltage on the stock primary; should be very low.
Please come back with findings. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back