Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the difference between sigma-delta and delta-sigma

Status
Not open for further replies.

kermit

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently, i read some articles about oversampling AD/DA,but in some articles sigma-delta structure is mentioned and in others delta-sigma structure is introductioned. And i am confused about this.Some people tells me that they are the same, someone else tells me that in AD sigma-delta structre is used, delta-sigma is adopted by DA!

I think there is no difference. I submitted a conference paper to IEEE about sigma delta ADC. There are some typing errors making sigma-delta and delta-sigma both presenting, but no comments on this issue at all :p

I don't understand :
hanjiemy said:
If I don't forget, I think they are difference.
sigma-delta is first "+" then "-",
but delta-sigma is first "-" then "+".

I have seen this paper somewhere before.

maybe!!! I am not sure 100%!

Can you give me the paper that you mentioned?3ks!!

there is no difference for them and they are totally interchangable

They are all the same. Although Delta-Sigma may be "better" in that it reveals the the principle as hanjiemy mentioned, Sigma-Delta is widely accepted now.

Thanks to hanjiemy hspice nxing and Hughes! :)

the term "delta-sigma" is the real one and "sigma-delta" is used just for the sack of simplicity (i guess)

they are the same. they just say a method.

They are not the same originally, you can see its difference in ‘Delta-sigma data converters --- theory,design, and simulation' IEEE press.
Now they are the same meaning, a modulator technique.

There is a specific difference:

1. Delta-Sigma Modulator
Here the first order integrator is in the feedback path. The difference between the actual signal
and the integrator output is compared and quantized.

2. Sigma-Delta Modulator
Here the first order integrator is in the feedforward path after the substraction from the
quantized signal. The output of the integrator feed the quantizer.

Hi

I think they are the same.

The location of integrator is different.

Although one may try to find out different meanings of both terms, it's completely obvious that in scientific literature they effectively designate the same object. Apparently most authors prefer either one or another and usually take care for consistent terminology within their publications.

Fixing the difference has a strong scholastic smell and is rather unlikely to give theoretical insights, to my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back