Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pads2007, errors occured during split/mixed plane generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

inramazsola

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there!

I've just finished my PCB in PADS2007. I've completed the DRC check in Layout without errors but when I generate the .pho outputs it complains about connections.
I guess its just because it examines top and bottom layer separately. What concerns me more, that after informating me about this, I get another message saying 'Errors occured during split/mixed plane generation. Press OK to ignore these errors or ask Cancel to abort this operation.'

Is it likely that this message is abut the connection as well?

Thanks in advance.

Re: pads2007, errors occured during split/mixed plane genera

If you view your generated Gerbers in a viewer, do the layers look correct?

You will get those messages, especially for external layers, because there are often isolated or unconnected areas on those layers. As long as the signal connectivity/continuity is taken care of on another layer or layers, you should be fine.

What does the Connectivity DRC say?

Actually I don't know hw to read a Gerber file...

Normal connectivity DRC founds no errors. Plane DRC gives this message "Connectivity checking has been done. Number of errors found -- 2"

Re: pads2007, errors occured during split/mixed plane genera

When I say view, I mean literally, in a viewer (CAM 350, ViewMate, GC Preview, GerbMagic or whatever - there are tons of them out there, many are free). When you view them, they should look like the layers in your Layout editor.

When you look at individual layers, look for anomalies, incorrect CAM setups, errors during Gerber generation (almost unheard of in PADS, but you never know...), whatever.

You should ALWAYS review your Gerbers in a viewer before sending them off for fab, regardless of any DRC or other checks you may do while in the Layout editor. While you can expect many shops to review your Gerbers before fabbing the board, you should NEVER rely on them. And some do not review your data, what you send them is what you'll get back.

Added after 13 minutes:

inramazsola said:
Normal connectivity DRC founds no errors. Plane DRC gives this message "Connectivity checking has been done. Number of errors found -- 2"

And I didn't address this in my other answer...

Turn on only the plane in question (the DRC report will list the layer the error occurs on). If it's is on multiple layers, check one at a time.

Go to Setup - Display Colors (CTRL-ALT-C) and set the "Connection" color to white or yellow or something that will stand out to you.

Go to View - Nets. Turn off all nets (set "View Unroutes Details" to "None") except for the signal for the specific plane net you are checking, set it to "All Except Connected Plane Nets" and Ok out of the dialog.

Look at your plane layer both poured (PO or SPD) and not poured (PO again or SPO) to see if there are any rat nest lines running to anything (you may have to turn on a surface layer to see if a rat runs to an SMT pad without a via).

Rinse and repeat if you need to look at other layers.

I'd be willing to look at your board if you want (and are allowed to let me). I would guarantee non-disclosure. My email is in my profile.

Added after 10 minutes:

By the way, there is a very good Listserver just for PADS, see how to sign up here:

Click here for Link

There are quite a few very good and very experienced PADS users that subscribe to it and are always willing to help, many have been on there for years.

Just don't be intimidated by them (there are lots of in-jokes and stuff).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back