Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

230v to 180v for dc motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandhu015

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
180v dc motor

Hi,

Is there any idea to convert 230v to 180v to drive and dc motor.

The current is 2 Amps.

using transformer is my first option but it is costly and space consuming.
The second one is smps, its costs also comes near the transformer

Any ideas please

Regards
Nandhu

180v dc

Use full rectifier bridge and put for the half bridge a lamp from 40W to 100W.

nandhu015

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pwm 180v

Thanks for your effort

I will try it out.

Regards
Nandhu

180v dc drive circuit

Or use low cost light dimmer with bigger triack.

180v dc smps

oscar_pdx said:
Or use low cost light dimmer with bigger triack.

Can you explain

Regards
Nandhu

180v dc motors

you should use pwm approach to convert 220AC(310 Vdc) to 180Vdc
it is a simple chopper and i think it is the simplest and cheapest way to
drive a dc motor.

ge drive motors 180v dc

connect it like this , but measure the output voltage of bridge before motor connection

you can also ,control speed with this circuit . but it is not stable output ,but quite good to operate motor , there is no need of L , i shown in the circuit .

nandhu015

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
180 v dc motors circuit

but how to control a dc motor which is shunt wound i.e. with following terminals F1F2, A1A2 i currently use a huge dimmer type dc drive to test these dc motor on cnc machines but i have a GE make DC motor with 4 terminals as named above please tell me how to connect it using your dimmer technique, with your technique i think i need to provide constant dc to field windings F1F2 and connect the dimmer as shown by you to the armature windings A1A2 is it correct if yes then how much voltage should be provided to the field windings?? and how?

bridge rectifier with field wound dc motor

Hai nandhu015
You can use a 220 volt transformor with 180V tapp on the primary and use it as a auto transformor as shown in the diagram and then use a bridge rectifier to get DC. You can still use the secondary for any other low power requirements. Good luck.

180v dc drive circuit diagram

raghavendratalekar said:
but how to control a dc motor which is shunt wound i.e. with following terminals F1F2, A1A2 i currently use a huge dimmer type dc drive to test these dc motor on cnc machines but i have a GE make DC motor with 4 terminals as named above please tell me how to connect it using your dimmer technique, with your technique i think i need to provide constant dc to field windings F1F2 and connect the dimmer as shown by you to the armature windings A1A2 is it correct if yes then how much voltage should be provided to the field windings?? and how?

Better use pwm

Nandhu

Re: 180v dc drive circuit diagram

Better use pwm

Nandhu

If f1&f2=400v dc,A1&A2=180v dc ,rated speed 1500rpm.with this pwm at the A1&A2.Can it decrease the motor speed to 500rpm.

Last edited:

You don't require anything more complicated than a single SCR in a phase-controlled half wave topology. Google the term, it can't be simpler than that.

The relationship for the output voltage in such a circuit is:

Vo = Vpk/2pi (1 + cos(&))
for 0 < & < 180 degrees where (&) is the phase delay.

If you remember the relationship Vpk = Vrms * sqrt(2), and plug in the numbers for Vrms = 230V, you'll see that Vo varies between 0 and about 207 volts.
Motors are rated at 180 volts because:
1) The & value cannot be made completely zero.
2) To allow a small amount of overspeed above the base speed.

I think you chaps are missing the point, its a motor, with windings, it will have inductance!! So any form of pulses or non smoothed rectified AC, will not drive 2 A at 180 V, you will need more V. Also it will have a commutator so it will have brushes, so spark suppression is a must before the motor is connected to any semiconductor device.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back