Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can't program AVR ATmega32 using STK 200/300 programmer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_pourfathi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using an ATmega32. Everything was OK until today, I could not Program it on any computer. I am using a STK 200/300 programmer. I checked it. It's ok. I have used other programmers and they didn't work as well. the thing is the ground wire in my STK 200/300 programmer was a little loose and I connected it again. but it didn't work again. I have used another board but it didn't also work!! what do you think has happened?

Re: avr atmega32

Somebody can help you if you come up with what your programmer tells.

For example, it detects the chip but cannot erase, likewise

Nandhu

Most likely you messed up the CKSEL fuses.
It DOES happen.

What you can do is connect an oscillator to the clock input (XTAL1) on the atmega, and then reprogram the CKSEL fuses. (if it is locked, then erase it first)

You must use an oscillator, a regular crystal will not work. Use any frequency up to the max for the speed of your device.

OR

you can use a parallel programmer or a universal programmer like a Xeltec or Labtool, etc, or anything that will program the device in parallel mode, until you can reprogram the CKSEL fuse.

Good Luck

We already tried this, but it didn't work! we used a 9 Mhz Clock generated by an FPGA. but it didn't work :( it doesn't recognize the chip at all.

m_pourfathi said:
We already tried this, but it didn't work! we used a 9 Mhz Clock generated by an FPGA. but it didn't work :( it doesn't recognize the chip at all.

You must use an oscillator like the one in the picture attached (Digi-Key part number SE1703-ND)
That one is a 4MHz oscillator.

I can almost guarantee that is your problem (provided your programmer is working properly)

If you can read/write other avr's with your programmer, then I would suspect that the CKSEL fuse is corrupt. I have never seen an avr just die, the fuses are usually the problem.

If you tell me what program you are using, and how it connects to the PC, I might be able to help you further.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.