Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the RF choke function in this circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssayan79

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all
i have a problem with a choke rf. I must study the circuit a have attached for my exam, but i don't know why an inductor as a choke is placed in this way.
Please help me.

Re: Choke Rf

RF chokes are used to supply a short circuit path for DC and high impedance for AC signals. The RFC used at this circuit is to connect the p-terminal of the diode to the supply to bias the diode into certain operating point (short circuit for DC). If it was connected directly to the supply, this would cause the output node to be seen as AC ground, so a coil is used to have high impedance at the AC signal's frequency to avoid shunting the AC signal to the DC supply.

Thak you very much.
But in this configuration my diode has, in DC, both terminals to ground. Is it no shorted in this case??

I think that at this case, you want to have zero V across the diode (to be reverse biased perhaps). If the RFC was removed and diode was connected directly to the ground, your AC signal will be shunted to the ground. This circuit may function as a limiter, when the AC signal amplitude exceeds the diode's cut-in voltage, the diode will be forward biased and signal's amplitude will be clipped.

Thank you very much
you are very clear. I have the ultimate question. In the model of the diode i hav found that if the forward voltage exceeds 0.7V, diode begins to conduct. I have not clear why when AC signal amplitude exceeds the diode's cut-in voltage, diode behaves as a limiter and where i could find mathematic model of this behaviour.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back