Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting transistor to an LM324 to drive a 5v relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodia

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've one movement sensor that work with an LM324, how to connect a transistor for switching one relay any time the sensor detects a movement, thanks for your comments

For a basic configuration see picture below ..

Regards,
IanP

bodia

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
many thanks for your suggestion IanP, I'll try it and let you know.

make sure your transistor is rated for the application.

what is your relay's winding resistance? take your bus voltage and divide by that and this is the "hold" current. now you need derating on top of that so.

device rating * 0.7 >= (bus voltage)/(relay resistance)

also when the relay first turns on there is an 'inrush' current which is called umm.. i forget now. but generally you can expect this spike of current to be almost 7 times your hold current!! so, your transistor better be rated for that too.

Mr.Cool

Hi Mr. Cool

many thanks for your comment, the relay I'm using is one SIP SERIES DRY REED RELAY DSS41A05BR - DSS4 RELAY, 1FA, 500 OHMS, 5V. Contact Form:, 1A/1B, Contact Rating:, 10, Switching Voltage:, 200, Switching Current:

very similar to this one : 9007 Reed Relay
Spartan Series foud at : https://www.cotorelay.com/

my bus voltage comes frome a 9v battery...

I think this relay already has an internal diode accross the coil...

Regards

bod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back