Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Zero-if receiver mixers !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng-a-hesham

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1- When designing a zero if receiver will one mixer be enough for my design .. or should i use two I&Q mixers?
2- if two, there should be a phase shift by 90 between the LO signals feeding them... what are the other design differences between them?
3- to avoid 2nd order distortion i will use differential ended mixer is that good or bad !!!

1-If you use two I/Q Mixers, it will be easy to seperate wanted and unwanted sidebands at the output.You can use a polyphase filter to discriminate them..
2-Yes, 90 degree phase shift is necessary to drive I/Q mixer combination..
3-Yes, differential structures have theoritically no even mode harmonics.

2-are they identical or there should be some differences in design !!

I also am trying to do a zero-IF homodyne setup. I was looking at active mixers from analog devices as a possibility, and some of them specify their IF range as working down to DC, but none of them really give any specific examples of using them for homodyne receivers.

For example, I was looking at the AD8343: https://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD8343.pdf

But I can't see a good way to get the signal off the differential (which are biased high) outputswithout AC coupling (which I can't do, need the thing to work all the way down to DC). Has anyone used active mixers like these for zero-IF receivers, or should I stick with doubly balanced mixers?

My frequency is low (8-50MHz), btw.

Also, if I use two doubly balanced mixers, it is okay if I use a two way power splitter to feed my RF into both of them directly? Or should I have some kind of buffer or attenuator pad between the splitter outputs and the mixer RF ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back