Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XP Regedit disabled! help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UroBoros

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai
Some virus disabled my taskmanager and regedit.(Windows XP pro)

I have tried different virus removing tools.

All now claim system is clean.

How can I remove the registry entries which creates trouble?

I have tried AAVG Trend and norton's fix

please suggest

Picstudent

Both versions of Registry Editor have been de-activated?

I'm talking about the more sophisticated old version... try it:
Start -> Run... -> RegEdt32.exe

pls note that it is REGEDT32 and not REGEDIT32...

mogwai.

UroBoros

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, you can dissable editing the registry through regedt/regedit/etc....

I remember setup this up to secure a lab of computers....

Basically, what I would run to unlock the computers is a registry patch (a single file that once double clicked, it changes values in the registry) to unlock the registry for editing...

So basically.. that is what the virus did.. but in reverse ;)

Another 'important' thing is to make a backup of your registry too.. Just in case things turns out differently that what you expected.
:)

UroBoros

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hai
How to back up the registry ?
How to create a back up or something of the boot drive so that we can restore if some problem?
I have heard of something like "ghost".

Which is the software for that?
Picstudent

You can create an image of your hard drive using, for example, DriveImage7: http://www.powerquest.com/ .. which is now Symantec and they offer it as GHOST9.0
This package allows you to compress and save complete image of your entire hard drive or its partition(s).
If you ecounter problems you are able to restore the whole hard drive.
Very handy option is to have second hard drive (or partion of master) and keep image of theC drive there.
Regards,
IanP

Assuming that you can enter windows:
- click 'RUN'
- type 'regedit'
- click on 'File'
- click on 'Export'

Best to save it on a floppy or USB Hard drive.

Assuming that you can't enter windows:
Norton ghost is effectively a very good tool.
but I'm afraid that if you did not install it prior your lockup, you won't be able
to save your registry..

In any case, good luck.
:)

First, to backup your registry and other essential files - make a "Restore Point". To do that go to Start>All Programs>Accesories>System Tools>System Restore, and follow the directions to make a restore point.

Now, you can fix the registry for "regedit" by going to the following and using the scirpt file provided:

**broken link removed**

If something goes wrong, press F8 during the boot process, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. This will take you back to before you changed the registry.

Just a word of warning.. With restore point..

It's all very nice, however if a trojan, worm, virus(es) are present, then of course
the 'backup' zone will keep them.

So I would be sort of careful with this and insure that the backup does not contain nasty little monsters.. :)
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back