Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

xor linear function and xnor non linear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeer_h

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Can anyone help me in understanding how XOR is considered a linear function and XNOR non-linear function?
I did my search and found some answers, but I couldn't fully understand it.

Thanks,
Abeer:twisted:

electro-uae,

Could you post here some reference about that postulation ?
I never hearded that definition.

+++

As far I know, in LFSRs (Linear Feedback Shift Register) the only functions of single bits considered "linear" are XOR and XNOR.

Reactions: Abeer_h

Abeer_h

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The quoted discussion refers to a very general mathematical field of function theory and linear mappings. If you want to understand XOR in this relation, you would need to get familiar with some theories, I think. If you just want to understand which property of binary logic operations is addressed with "linearity", there's a more simple answer.

It's simply about the fact, that any single change of an input is causing an output change, independant of the (fixed) state of the other input. If you compare all 6 binary operations, you'll see, that this property doesn't apply for AND, OR, NAND, NOR but is valid for XOR - and XNOR as well, as Eduardo stated. So your initial assumption is apparently wrong. Where did you see XNOR qualified "non-linear"?

I guess, the Wkipedia author is just jumping into conclusions, based on the fact, that most discussions are about XOR as linear function. Negation should be however considered a linear operation. So if XOR(a,b) is linear, NOT(XOR(a,b) is as well.

Reactions: Abeer_h

Abeer_h

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.