Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx timing constraint differential clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Nick

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm working on designing an acquisition system which utilises a Spartan 3 FPGA. The input data is clocked with differential clocks (lvds datra), I am having a bit of trouble with timing constraints, meeting them and knowing if I'm specifying them correctly.
Using the timing constraints editor I have specified a clock (RxCLK) with a frequency of 240 MHz, and then tried to generate a reciprocal clock(RxCLKNot) by referencing a clock to the RxCLK with a positive phase shift os 2.08333ns.
I have also tried to generate tboth clocks independently in thge constraints editor just swapping the 'Initial clock edge' from high to low.
I get better timing closure doing the latter, but I have little confidence in it. In fact I have little confidence in either method. I am not sure if I have over constrained the clocks etc.
Does anyone know the correct way to do this, or have any advice in acheiving timing closure etc.

Cheers,

Nick

Translate/MAP only needs to have a TNM_NET and TIMESPEC constraint on the _P input pad. The use of TNM_NET will push though the ibufgds/ibufds.

Keep in mind that the external interface might need offset constraints, or the clock might need to go to a DCM in zero-delay buffer mode for the clocking of the data into the FPGA.

There are reports about what timing constraints were used. You can also make a verbose post-par timing report (.twr) that contains the worst paths from each constraint. This will at least show you some analyzed paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back