Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx Coding Style for Synthesis and ieee package usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostInABox

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All ,

I noticed that most of the coding templates in the vivado user guide and most of the templates available in VIVADO itself use

ieee.std_logic_arith , which is the synopsys package. I know that it should not be mixed with ieee.numeric_std ( in the same file)

So I was wondering if there will be any issue with inference of synthesis constructs if i use only ieee.numeric_std

Please let me know

It is OK! The only "problem" you might have is that multi-bit ports of type std_logic_vector in IP blocks need casting if you want to use them as numbers with numeric_std.
Your own entities can use unsigned/signed for such ports instead of std_logic_vector.

Both work. People will complain if you use std_logic_arith. That is the main reason to use numeric_std at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back