Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx BRAM initialization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nouman91

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to initialize multiple instances of same BRAM using different .coe files. But i havent find a way to do that yet as xilinx initialize all the instances with the sane .coe file. How do I solve this issue

IIRC, you need to create separate BRAMs from the core-gen with the different file specified for each created BRAM. Otherwise you could try and mannually instantiate them...

I have a module in which I instantiated BRAM. and I call that module multiple times. SO for that do I have to Make seperate modules each with different generated BRAM???

that or modify the generics/parameters on the instantiation to use a different .coe file.

If you prefer memory initialization by coe files, you have to specify different file names for each memory instance. Other possible initialization methods are infering the memory content from constant arrays in HDL or by reading hex or binary files in HDL code.

how to modify the generics/parameters on the instantiation to use a different .coe file??
because if I change .coe file of one BRAM under an instance, it changes the instantiation of all the instances automatically

- - - Updated - - -

Got it. Thanks for your help

You didn't tell any details about your generation scheme. Generally speaking, the coe file generic is a string. You should be able to assign different string values to individual instances.

how to modify the generics/parameters on the instantiation to use a different .coe file??
because if I change .coe file of one BRAM under an instance, it changes the instantiation of all the instances automatically

- - - Updated - - -

Got it. Thanks for your help

like trickydicky mentioned you have a particular .coe file for A BRAM...you cannot have a data which is floating and does not match with the bram parameters..however you can use the bram and keep the data rewriting into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back