Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xbox 360 Fan Modification Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmandude

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xbox 360 fan mod

I have been planning to gathering items like fans and power adapters to make a cooling fan for the Xbox 360. The key to my madness is to have the fans (three of them) working with a seperate wall Plug-in.

Things that I have collected:
- 3 new 80mm computer fans
-->12v
-->1.8w (or I think ".15a" or "15Ma")(I hope this is right)
- a plug-in adapter
--> it says that the Output is "12v 800Ma"

My question is; will the fans only use what they require or will they spin out of control. In the longrun, what would I need to get these three fans powered from a wall outlett?

Thank you for your potential help.

xbox 360 fan voltage

The answer really depends on whether your plug-in adapter has a regulated output. If the adapter's output increases when the load current is small, it is possible that the voltage will go too high for the fans. If the voltage is only slightly high, then the fans should be fine. Generally these computer fans have some over voltage margin. If it was me, I would wire them up and plug them in momentarily. If they seem to spin normally, then everything is fine. If they seem to be running fast or making alot of noise, then the voltage is probably too high. You can also check the voltage with a meter, if you have one. Want to know what the fan should normally sound like and what the speed should be? Remember that a automobile has a convenient 12V dc battery.

adding fans to xbox 360

Thank you for your help and yes I think it is regulated at 12volts as it used to be a cell-phone charger. But I will try it out and see what they sound like. I was told they were really quiet so if they are on the contrary, I will know it's too much.

One last question, will all three fans be ok on the same power line? (meaning the first one will hog all of the juice and leave none for the other two?)

Mainly, I dont want fires.

Have a great day.

xbox 360 fans

Three fans in parallel on the same power supply is fine. You can continue to add fans in parallel until you reach the current limit of the power supply. Since your supply is rated at 800ma, and the fans are each pulling 150ma, then at five fans you are approaching the limit of the supply.

adding extra fans to xbox 360

Having a 360 also, adding 3 fans gets quite noisy.
I have the Nyko Intercooler add on fan unit that clips on the back and it really increases the noise.

Using a seperate PSU is much better (and something I intend to get around to doing) however it would be better if you can add some form of speed control to it, something to sense the temperature of the 360 and increase the fan speed as it heats up, also to decrease it when not needed.

the thing about the Nyko is that it uses the 360 PSU, which has been frowned upon as it detracts from what the 360 needs, also can cause errors on boot up. (so it needs an external PSU).

Don't forget to add the cool touch of LED's in the fan unit ;-)

xbox 360 fan speed

These fans are super quiet they have a 26 db. rating (quieter then the 360 fans themselves) as well as pushing 32 CFM each.

I have good feelings about this.

If you would like I will post pics as soon as it is assembled.

THANK YOU a bunch Banjo

xbox 360 fan running fast

I would like to see the pictures of your 360 once you have the new fans in it. And also post who makes the fans and where you got them.

I've had my box since late January of '06. The noise has really been getting to me lately. I have the HD DVD player for it. The movies look awesome, but the noise the fans make while watching a movie really distract from enjoying the movie, even with surround sound.

I borrowed my friends decibel meter and tested my box by putting the meter about 2 inches in front of the power button on the 360. Just turning the box on reads at about 60 decibels. After leaving the box on idle for about 15 minutes or so (just on the dashboard, not playing any games, etc.), it then jumps up to around 70 decibels. (From what I can gather by looking online, the extra 10dB is actually 4 times louder than from its just started state). So my box gets 4 times louder after just 15 minutes of sitting idle.

So please post your results. If there is a better solution than the stock fans, I'd go for it. Thanks!

increase fan speed xbox 360

Ok I will Post some pictures of my creation, but Jimmdog keep in mind that I am not taking anything out of the X360 I am only removing the bottom grey grill and putting the triple fan mod as a stand on the bottom to push cool air in through the bottom. This will help because I am putting a higher pressure inside the case and lowering the ambient temperature therefore helping the x360 cool down.

The second problem with the x360 is that the drive is too loud for some and most of the noise comes from the disk drive. One solution to your sound problem is to get some dyno-mat and line the inside with it to see if you get any sound reduction. Remember when you do this you will be insulating the machine so heat will have an easier time cooking your machine.

Maybe when I am done you could make one of these along with dyno-mat-ing your x360 for the noise.

Yeah? No? Maybe?

xbox 360 fan speed control

things have changed; I have decided to put the fans on the back-side (yes, over the exsisting OEM fans). Some people have siad that putting fans in front of fans does nothing as far as air flow, but I have noticed that my x360 runs SOO much cooler.

Wile it has been running with these dual fans I made on the back I havent felt anything but cool air comming out of the back. It's great!

I will post pics in a matter on days for anyone interested...

xbox 360 fan noise

Here are the Pictures (not the greatest quality) I checked them with a thermometer and the air that comes out the back usually ran at 60deg F above room temp and now it runs atabout 10deg F above room temp.

I will eventually make them better looking by putting a screen on the back and painting it white

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back