Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XBEE not communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilele

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I connected a Xbee module from digi to PC and and using XTCU i read its version and configurations even i tried +++ at cmd initiate using hyperterminal every thing is ok..

but when i connect two xbee modules to serial port of two PC and try to type something in hyper terminal they are not communication

but when i am typing +++ they are responding..

I know you are experienced but could you check if the data is coming till xbee module using virtual port simulator
or you cable is reversed

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

try to check the baud rate of both the modules toooo

If I remember correctly, to use Xbee modules are serial replacement, you need to set each module so that local DL/DH matches remote SL/SH.

You have to configurethe XBEE's on the same PAN and then program one like a coordinator (i.e.) and the other only change the Network address to 2, that's the easiest way

I know you are experienced but could you check if the data is coming till xbee module using virtual port simulator
or you cable is reversed

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

try to check the baud rate of both the modules toooo

As i have already mentioned using XTCU i have successful read configuration and +++ at cmd response was OK so it proves connections and baud rate are ok.

If I remember correctly, to use Xbee modules are serial replacement, you need to set each module so that local DL/DH matches remote SL/SH.
According to you i have to change destination and source address..
at present destination and source address all are same 0000

You have to configurethe XBEE's on the same PAN and then program one like a coordinator (i.e.) and the other only change the Network address to 2, that's the easiest way
In configuration both pan id are 0
by default they came configured as router do you want me to change them to coordinator

I am attaching my configuration file also which was saved using XCTU

Attachments

• z04_2.txt
    551 bytes · Views: 57

According to you i have to change destination and source address..
at present destination and source address all are same 0000

I think you are referring to 16-bit address, while I was talking of to 64-bit address.

Anyway, the fact that both short addresses are 0000 does not seem a good sign to me. Please issue an AI command on the modules and check the result. If you don't get a 0x00, then your modules are not associated.

(Additional note: I read more carefully your message. One node MUST be a coordinator, at least the first time the network is created. You should change the firmware on ONE node of your choice)

Once you completed the association, look at SH/SL of module 1 and write those values as DH/DL on module 2. Do the opposite on the second module. Now XBee should work as a serial replacement.

BTW, I suppose you are using AT firmware. Serial replacement does not work with API firmware

could you check with the serial port working (MAX232) as , far as i remember i had bought 14 zigbee modules out of which 9 modules had failed max iC .... maybe my bad luck,, out of which 2 did no work even after replacing and others worked......

When operating in transparent mode, the modules act as a serial line replacement. All UART data
received through the DIN pin is queued up for RF transmission. When RF data is received, the data
is sent out through the DOUT pin. The module configuration parameters are configured using the
AT command mode interface.
Data is buffered in the serial receive buffer until one of the following causes the data to be
packetized and transmitted:
• No serial characters are received for the amount of time determined by the RO (Packetization
Timeout) parameter. If RO = 0, packetization begins when a character is received.
• The Command Mode Sequence (GT + CC + GT) is received. Any character buffered in the
serial receive buffer before the sequence is transmitted.
• The maximum number of characters that will fit in an RF packet is received
RF modules that contain the following firmware versions will support Transparent Mode:
20xx (AT coordinator), 22xx (AT router), and 28xx (AT end device).

I got this from data sheet...

The Test / Query button is used to test the selected COM port and PC settings. If the settings and COM port are correct, you will receive a response similar to the one depicted in Figure 4 below.

I have done above test and its comes out ok
and my firmware version is 2264
XB24-ZB is my module which software says after reading my module

If both modules have 2264 firmware, it means they are both routers. You need to change firmware of ONE node to AT coordinator.
And after that, when the network is running (check with AI command) you need again to set destination address of one module equal to source address of the other, and vice versa.
Until you don't do this, transparent mode will not work.

i got it today night i will try but many documents say that by default xbee comes in transparent mode.. then this statement is not true..

In my experience, this is partially true.
IF the network is running AND you use AT firmware AND you do the trick <dest address = source address> THEN you get transparent mode.
Some years ago, when our company began using XBee, I've had the same problems than you... like you I was expecting to be in transparent mode as soon as modules get power supply!
:-D

i made one as co-ordinator and other end device i got communication.. correctly..
but i am having one small problem before establishing continous communication i have to send and byte atleast 20-50 times after that only i can send my data.....
what this some sort of preamble or sync is required..

i am facing different but similar type of problem ....... when i m doing zigbee communication between two pcs thru rs232 serial interface.....it is working fine .....but when i replace one pc with atmega 32 circuit ......atmega 32 receive garbage data ......

i tested atmega32 circuit also ....it work fine if i connect it direct to serial port of pc ......

can u please help where is prob wid zigbee ...... plz guide me on this ......:sad::sad::sad:

I assume you have the baud rate, word size, etc correct (garbage data is a classic symptom of incorrect baud rate) ? if it is OK could you be sending characters faster than the receiver can process them and you are getting data overruns etc?

I assume you have the baud rate, word size, etc correct (garbage data is a classic symptom of incorrect baud rate) ? if it is OK could you be sending characters faster than the receiver can process them and you are getting data overruns etc?

first of all .....thanks ..:-D:-D.you r ryt this type of problem comes due to baud rate mismatch ....but same atmega code suns in serial wired connection ...tht means initialization is correct in atmega code ......

same zigbee to zigbee communication runs when between two pcs ....... tht means zigbees initialization settings are correct ......

problem comes only when we connect atmega cct at one end ....... we think its due to handshaking problems as in pc we use hyperterminal to check which itself take care of hanshaking ......but in atmega we are taking only two pins rx and tx from zigbee ......is tht be a problem .....if ....can u provide me some solution .....or guide us how to proceed to make this handshaking properly ........

have not used a XBee for some year but looking at the circuits and code I appear to hold CTS and DTR high

Which communication speed are you using? If you use 115200 bps, then read the rest of my message.

On Series I there are known issues at 115200 bps, Digi suggests to use two stop bits. Also, have a look at this post:
Digi International Support Forum - View Thread - Using the XBee at 115,200 Baud - UPDATED 16 March 2010
Basically the article suggests to set MPU at 111111 bps instead than 115200 and explains why this could be a good idea.
Possibly these issues were solved in Series II (used for Zigbee), but maybe you can give a try

Status
Not open for further replies.