Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

working with very high voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_rb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We need to build an academic accelerator with a group of students. It contains a vacuum chamber, coolling system, RF generator Power supply, vacuum pumps, gauges, chiller, 120kv high voltage power supply. I was wondering what precautions should I take regarding using very high voltages. I have read about a few but want to know opinion from people here. We have a Glassman 120KV, 60 mA H.V. power supply which will be connected to a hot metallic electrode with a rounded Al cap. This electrode which will be cooled with tap water coming from chiller. This electrode will be at 120KV in air. Faraday cage will be build around the whole system to prevent electric shock. Do I need to use an Isolation transformer?

42_1343229970.jpg

Better keep away, if you dont know what you'r doing.

Trivial solution. If eveyone keep away if they don't know what they are doing scince wouldn't advance. I dodn't know what I am doing but want to learn then do it.
All those working with above 100 KV voltages please reply with your experiences and guid lines for us to minimize the risk.

Trivial solution. If eveyone keep away if they don't know what they are doing scince wouldn't advance. I dodn't know what I am doing but want to learn then do it.
I think, the concept attained success (and was necessary to some degree) in the prescientific age, e.g. when Benjamin Franklin invented the lightning rod. These days, you would prefer a profound knowledge of electricity basics.

Some points, e.g. where an isolation transformer must /can /must never be used in an accelerator setup, can be most likely answered referring to this basics, without HV engineering speciality knowledge. To cool a HV potential part, you'll either need a non-conducting coolant or a chiller operated at the HV potential. A 120 kV rated isolation transformer is somehow apart from standard equipment, similar devices are however used in HV power distribution systems or can be made by specialized manufacturers on demand.

I express my own fear.You can do it untill you don't let it pass through your body.
You can post similar stickers where relevant.
70_1344367917.gif

81_1344367917.jpg

Last edited:

try using ceramic shields around the system as they offer very high resistance to the voltage you may use but take care that the diameter of the ceramic stuff is large as larger the surface area the more resistance it creates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back