Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wiring a Video Signal Cable To Small Monitor Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faerns

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you wire a camera directly to an LCD screen? As in, taking a CCTV camera that used some sort of cable (fiber optic, RCA, coaxial, DIN, 1.0Vp-p, etc) to normally transmit live video to a CCTV monitor or video recording box and basically modify a standard cheap LCD screen with the a plug-in for whatever cable was used and basically transmit the video from the CCTV camera live to the LCD screen?

Basically going after the kinds of cameras and screens the backup cameras use these days. Like seen here: 3.5" TFT LCD Car Rear View Monitor & Color CCD CMOS 420TVL AC-600 Camera ET-350 - DinoDirect.com

It looks like they just took a digital photo frame and wired it to accept video. So I'm assuming the video wouldn't need post-processing?

I'm pretty terrible at explaining my questions but hopefully someone gets what I'm saying. X:

Cheap LCD screen, no speakers or anything, just a screen, modified to a female plug for whatever wire needing to be used for the camera so that when, the camera's plugging into the screen, and power is turned on, the camera just transmits lag-free video from camera to LCD screen. :D

Sorry for the horrible explaination! :p I assume it's possible, but I'm just wondering if it's possible for a home DIY-er with passion or would it need some sort of post-processing that would make it all very complex. X:

If the camera outputs an anlog signal and the screen accepts an analog signal, there probably wont be any processing required. What types of output and input connections do the camera and screen have, respectively?

All TFT panels basically work with a digital interface RGB888/666 + Hsync + Vsync + Clock.
These signals can be provided by most Graphic CPUs.
Consumer equipment mostly uses analog interface (e.g. CVBS) or a digital serial interface (e.g. HDMI) to transmit the video data. All these interfaces are not capable to drive a TFT panel. Therefore a converter is necessary in every case.
There are some very rare panels which have a CVBS converter built in, but they are hard to find and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back