Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless task taker device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atcold

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to have some suggestions about how I could realise a device that is able to make an easy wireless connection (tx and rx) and switch on and off a couple of LEDs.

Device description

1. There is a device and a PC. When the device and the PC handshake, the device switches on a green LED.
  2. Pressing the (only) button on the device the LED turns red (green OFF, red ON) and a signal has to be sent to the PC.
  3. The PC can identify which device has made the transmission. When a button is pressed on the PC's program, the LED on the device turns back green (green ON, red OFF), like to say "I got the device x has taken the task".

• The transmission will always start from the device.

Further characteristics

Range: 10s of metres;
Obstacles: plasterboards walls (with metallic framework), mobile phones;
Hypothetical solutions: WiFi and access-point or any not standard wireless communication;
Budget: the cheapest, the easiest;
# items: 3 (at the beginning);
Software side: no problem on the PC side.​

I do not have any (really any) idea about where to start. I have never done any wireless communication, so this is a completely new field for me. So, I would be very glad also to receive a suggestion about what to read.

Many thanks indeed to anyone who can leave a feedback :)

Do you need a PC?
There are many radio RX/TX devices that will give you a stand-alone (without a PC) and much cheaper solution than WiFi

Do you need a PC?
There are many radio RX/TX devices that will give you a stand-alone (without a PC) and much cheaper solution than WiFi
Well, could you please be more specific? I.e., may you jot down a few of these radio RX/TX devices that will give me a stand-alone and much cheaper solution?
Anyway, tnx for answering!

Hi,

You need to be more clear about your project. As of now I understand that you want to create it by your self. If yes then are you looking for some reference designs.

Hi,
You need to be more clear about your project. As of now I understand that you want to create it by your self. If yes then are you looking for some reference designs.
As I wrote in the first post, I was looking for something very easy and cheap to do. I am an electronic engineer (I mean I just graduated after 5 years of university) and I would like to do (not to make) something by my own, without special instruments. Therefore, I was looking for some device easily programmable that gives me the possibility to create a wireless system as it is described in the first post.
On what should I be more clear about?

Thanks ;)

As I wrote in the first post, I was looking for something very easy and cheap to do. I am an electronic engineer (I mean I just graduated after 5 years of university) and I would like to do (not to make) something by my own, without special instruments. Therefore, I was looking for some device easily programmable that gives me the possibility to create a wireless system as it is described in the first post.
On what should I be more clear about?

Thanks ;)

Hi,
I understand it now. You can buy any WiFi module with WLAN driver and then you can easily write your own application on top of it. As now WLAN drivers comes as simple to use API's to init, config, send , recieve without any specific knowledge of WiFi.

Foe Ex-As you want to develop a wirless task taker device. Then you can write you application (Code) On top of WLAN SDK you will get with the WiFi module. You can check on web regarding such code. I hope you will get some examples or samples. This is the easiest way to develop this application.

You can also refer this post in forum if yo want any WiFi module to work with.
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/246526/

Which processor you are planning to use?

I can highly recommend the Sure-Electronics "MRF24J" RF module for this I think, it's a PIC24, with a MicroChip WIFI module on board, and a serial-data header.

**broken link removed**

I'm not related to them in any way but I have to say their kit is *reliable* and comes with a full stack code (including http2 server to get to the LEDs) ready for your pleasure, a lot of fun if it is "ok"

Kind regards
NEAL

You can realize it by using a software radio. I don't know what part you are interested in (DSP, hardware design, wireless protocol, etc). But, look into GNU radio and USRP. GNU radio is open source software radio which run in Linux. USRP is hardware with FPGA, ADC and DAC. You can buy appropriate daughter card to use specific frequency.
I think 2.4G is open to public and don't know about other frequencies...

Well, thanks for the advices! Really!

I will have a deeper look into it as soon as I come back from a workshop in Madrid (I'm flying today and I'm not bringing my 17" laptop with me!). But the way, I am glad you gave me enough tips I can use as keywords in my research.

I will post here whatever I will find, so we can make this thread a source of information available for many others!
Many thanks indeed again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back