Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless RS232 Link - Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddbudman

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
diy wireless rs232

Hey there fellow tinkerers.

Currently I need to come up with a solution so that I can run my lighting controller from a remote location. The Lighting controller runs off a RS232 interface;- thing is where the lights are mounted, I can not see the controller and vice -versa. I'm trying to come up with a solution so that I can run my laptop to a remote location and send RS232 commands from my remote location to the Lighting controller. That way I can see what effects my lighting shows have in real time :)

The Lighting Instructions I give are over RS232 (standard 8N1) @ 19.2k.
The Packets I will be sending are few and far between (basic trigger patterns to trigger shows stored on the lighting controller itself). The Packet length is 10bytes.

What I am looking for is the best (most reliable and most cost effective solution) to doing this control- note it has to be wireless! Note - I am looking for a premade professional solution - not a Kit. Something as plug and play as possible.

I'm guessing a RS232 to RF module at each end may be the best solution, but I am open to other suggestions. (to be honest I don't know the 1st thing about stuff like 802.11b etc so any suggestions outside the circle would be most welcome.)

Also other peoples experiences with RS232 run lengths would be appreciated (ie how far)- note that this link is not permanent and is only for short term test
purposes. This particular RS232 link uses only RX,TX and GND connections.

Below is a picture of the current configuration.

Look foward to some stimulating suggestions.

thx,
oddbudman

daniel/projects/radio_link

First I would try companies such as www.RFInnovations.com.au
They have a choice of professional radio-modems that will take your RS-232 Rx/Tx/GND and they work very well even for log distances (I think that for 200m normal omni-directional antenna will be OK)

pic connectblue examples

Nordic (www.nordicsemi.no), Chipcon (www.chipcon.com), Melexis (www.melexis.com) and probably some others provide RF-transceivers which modulate the RS232 you provide. Most will work up to 19200baud.

But 150m is a pretty long distance (for 4xxMHz or 8xxMHz RF links). In line of sight (outside) it might be possible but inside (with walls, ...) it's more difficult. I suggest you ask the RF guru's on the board for more info in that case.
When you use good antenna's, it'll probably work

Antharax

diy rs232 wireless

Hi,
One good solution is to use a RS232 Bluetooth adapter, you can find some information about it in the connectBlue site, http://www.connectblue.se/. I'm using this adater to communicate a servocontroler with a mobile phone using bluetooth and it realy works.
Any questions send-me a mensage and I reply you.

P.S. - in my case I'm using J2ME to control the communication.

good luck!

diy wireless project

Try to read the attached article from Elektor Electronics December 2003 called "Wireless RS232 Link".
It's a complete desing with free PCB layout and and test software.

Download PCB layout and free Application example here: **broken link removed**

Wireless RS232 Link
Using licence-exempt Short Range Devices (SRDs)

Design by D. Langwald, P. Groppe and B. vom Berg

As we show in this article, off the shelf radio modules called Short Range Device (SRDs) with an integrated microcontroller are here, making home construction of a wireless RS232 link a reality for DIY constructors.

wireless rs232 link

APPLICATION OF WIRELESS
MONITORING AND CONTROL
VIA (RF)
Project Description
This project is Wireless Data Acquisition system for surveillance of petroleum well (Monitoring and control) Where:
1. Sensors measuring cases then convert these measurements from analog to digital via ADC
2. Read these data by microcontroller PIC16F877 where there is program inside PIC its function read data then processes it then out it serially from determines port to Transceiver.
From transceiver at Petroleum well to transceiver at Control Room from the transceiver to computer with RS232 serial port
Inside computer there is software its function Display for monitoring and make comparison with set point. Where each sensor has special set point
If the input data over rang then must makes control for plant
3. Reverse last way from computer to transceiver in control room from this transceiver to transceiver at Petroleum well then to microcontroller from microcontroller output to relays for operate (Fan, Lamps and valves)
This was general idea for my project
SOrry about bad my languege

Added after 31 minutes:

Brinks Home Security, “systems plan”. Online Internet. November 2001. Available at
**broken link removed** .com/system-plan.asp.

transceiver rf 232 wireless

The article from Elektor Electronics December 2003 called "Wireless RS232 Link", work wery well. The transceiver modules link: **broken link removed**

rs232 transceiver rf diy

Simple wireless radio data link

**broken link removed**

:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.