Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Energy Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey Peter

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Im currently designing a wireless energy meter for my final year project..... I would like to know what kind of RF transmitter to use and its frequency for a range(min 15 meters).... then which is the Best online shop to get the components ?? In this project I though of using ADE7757 but I don't know where to buy it ?? Thanks in advance........

Did you make circuit and firmware for your project ? Where You stuck ?

For RF you can use 433MHz modules OOK,FSK or similar, range can be up to 100m.

Where to buy parts, best is at your place in your country to avoid transport costs. You are probably UK/US then there is no problems for you, you have good coverage in market with semiconductor dilers/distributers.

https://www.digikey.com/
https://www.rs-online.com/index.html
www.tme.eu

Last edited:
Buy standard 50mW-100mW 433MHz.
Consider 1mW per 1m on open. 433MHz is free band.
Generally you need to know the RF regulations of your country. 433 MHz meter reading applications allow 10 mW with max. 10% duty cycle in the ETSI domain. In the U.S., you better use 900-928 MHz band because 433 MHz is restricted to very low power (about 50 µW).

Range is much larger, however. 10 mW is good for several 100 m outdoor and several 10 m inside a building.

You should refer to RF modules or chipsets with digital data interface (SPI or UART). FM is more reliable than AM.

Alternatively RF modules with built-in network support, e.g. ZigBee or Bluetooth, can be an option.

FSK would be subsumed with variants like GFSK under FM. FSK is in fact commonly used for low and medium speed digital data transmission up to several 100k, e.g. by the Chipcon/TI transceivers chipsets CC10xx and CC11xx.

If your modulation signal is digital (0/1), "normal FM" turns into FSK. If you apply a gaussian low pass filter before, you get GFSK. More complex digital modulation methods are transmitting multiple bits in one "symbol", e.g. 4FSK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back