Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wireless communication with FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argoth

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am trying realize wireless communication between two devices.
I have never done something like that and as a beginner I don't understand how some things work so I need your help.

I am using:
- Nexys 3 board with Spartan 6 FPGA
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products...5b85a628e-21AA2222-5056-0201-02D6A08418D6FF8E
- PmodRF2 transceiver
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,401,927&Prod=PMOD-RF2

On PmodRF2 there is microchip MRF24J40 that communicates with a host mictrocontroller via a 4 wire SPI port as a slave device. Microchip is an IEEE 802.15.4 Standard compliant 2.4 GHz RF transceiver and it integrate the PHY and MAC functionality.
So I guess I need write SPI master in FPGA something like... http://www.eewiki.net/display/LOGIC/Serial+Peripheral+Interface+(SPI)+Master+(VHDL)
And this I use for writing and reading data.
Now comes the part where I stopped. In MRF24J40 is implemented static RAM that looks like that.

There are some control registers and I have no Idea how to use them. I know that there is some short and long address register interface. So could you please tell me how to use it. For example:
According to MRF24J40 manual I need initialize MRF24J40 like this:

1. SOFTRST (0x2A) = 0x07 – Perform a software Reset. The bits will be automatically cleared to ‘0’ by hardware.
2. PACON2 (0x18) = 0x98 – Initialize FIFOEN = 1 and TXONTS = 0x6.
3. TXSTBL (0x2E) = 0x95 – Initialize RFSTBL = 0x9.
4. RFCON0 (0x200) = 0x03 – Initialize RFOPT = 0x03.
5. RFCON1 (0x201) = 0x01 – Initialize VCOOPT = 0x02.
6. RFCON2 (0x202) = 0x80 – Enable PLL (PLLEN = 1).
7. RFCON6 (0x206) = 0x90 – Initialize TXFIL = 1 and 20MRECVR = 1.
8. RFCON7 (0x207) = 0x80 – Initialize SLPCLKSEL = 0x2 (100 kHz Internal oscillator).
9. RFCON8 (0x208) = 0x10 – Initialize RFVCO = 1.
10. SLPCON1 (0x220) = 0x21 – Initialize CLKOUTEN = 1 and SLPCLKDIV = 0x01.

I think that I should move register on adress 0x2A to adress 0x07. Is it right? And if yes, how?

And another thing for example with channel selection. There is some RFCON0 (0x200) register. I choose channel and according to this I should set value like ,,0x03,, into RFCON0 (0x200<7:4>). So it is value 0011 in bits 7 6 5 4 ? And how to do that?
The problem is that I dont know what to send through SPI and how it should looks like in VHDL.
Thanks for help

You are writing to control registers by sending a SPI frame according datasheet figure 2-8 (short address write) respectively figure 2-10 (long address write). Try to understand how address and data value are packed into the SPI frame, that's independend of FPGA design problems.

Secondly you'll design a SPI master interface that's capable of reading and writing short and long address format frames.

Then design a state machine that is sequentially performing the initialization. It's most reasonable to read address and data pairs from a ROM table.

Initialization is probably the easy part. Transmitting and receiving involves exchange of data with multiple FIFOs. That's surely possible in VHDL (hardware design) but a rather complex action and clearly beyond the scope of a beginners project.

Registers are saved in the static RAM? so when I want to work with Short register I send SPI packet of 8 bits that indicates that it's 0 for short address, address of register and 0 or 1 for reading or writing and then I can read or write another 8 bits?
I hope I am not totaly wrong.
Can you tell me where I can find something about packeting into the SPI frames? I think it's not in the MRF24J40 Data sheet.

Ok, thank you and don't you about someone who did something like that and published his work?

There is some example C code out there that you can use for inspiration. That way you have an example of initialization procedures. A bit of googling / looking at the product page on microchip.com should get you there.

If you cannot find it I'll google it and post the result with a time delay designed as an incentive to cultivate your search skills. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.