Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless charging receiver coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeel.sid

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I am thinking to use some other component instead of coil at wireless receiver.
It might be a stupid or innovative idea (not sure what to call it with little knowledge of this area)

I came to this idea from FM receiver ckt that collect energy via antenna

Can anybody guide me to it?

Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards

You don't need a coil at all but they cost almost zero and do their job extremely efficiently. You can use RC networks to set the frequency but they are lossy and require extremely tight tolerances. Why avoid a coil costing almost nothing and replace it with an RC combination costing a small fortune?

Brian.

I intend to avoid coil because device size is small (similar to wrist watch)
Your point is valid and I think we ought to go with coil.
Can you guide me how to embed it in small device?
P.S. the battery is 3.4V/800mAh (Li poly)

You're talking very generally about "coil" versus "antenna". I suggest to think about useful frequencies for wireless energy transfer and intended coupling mechanism (magnetical, capacitive, electromagnetical). Consider that your charging system must not interfer with radio communication.

You're talking very generally about "coil" versus "antenna". I suggest to think about useful frequencies for wireless energy transfer and intended coupling mechanism (magnetical, capacitive, electromagnetical). Consider that your charging system must not interfer with radio communication.

Following WPC std wouldnt be a problem about interference

Following WPC std wouldnt be a problem about interference
Promotors of wireless energy transfer applications love to quote general emc rules and ignore specific regulations withstanding their intended usage of RF bands. You better read their optimistic assumptions critically.

WPC is generally targetting to the kHz and low MHz range, Qi is using the 100 kHz range. In so far there's no question of using a coil or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.