Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind Turbines connected to the Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

sei_tan

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
To begin with, congratulations for the forum! It is very nice! Btw, keep up the good work!
As far as my issue is concerned, in few days I will start a project related to the connection of wind turbines to the Grid (inductions or synchronous; it doesn't matter).
I hope to manage to emphasize the impacts derived from that connection such as the voltage fluctuations and the power’s flow impact.
My major concern is which software it would be more suitable for my project; PSS/E, Matlab, PSCAD…?
Any help or advice will be vital so if you know please be my guest.
If my topic causes any inconvenience I am deeply sorry. However, these turbines in many cases are considered as Embedded Generators and that is why I chose to make this topic here.

Cheers

There are several aspects of this. The first is the legal aspect. The owner of your power grid may need to give you specific permission to do this.

The technical aspects are just the same as for a steam generated power plant. You have to adjust the voltage and phase angle relative to the grid to make real (not reactive) power flow into the grid. There are several classical books on this subject. Your school library will probably have at least one of them.

flatulent, I am afraid that my poor English already caused a slight misunderstanding. The project is my dissertation which will (hopefully) try to prove that small scale turbines (for feeding domestic loads) cause problems as large turbines do (wind parks).

Wind turbines causes these problems since wind is intermittent and when we connect them to the Network (depends of course how “weak” is the Network) we can observe them.

My question is which software package is the most suitable in order to examine this phenomenon? I will probably simulate a simple Network (3 node one) and I will take into account several cases (large demand and small generation from the turbine etc…)

Thank you in advance.

There are probably several programs that are used by the companies that run the grids. You may want to inquire of them and ask for a student license from the software vendor.

sei_tan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
flatulent said:
..and ask for a student license from the software vendor.

flatulent, there is no issue about the license. The University has bought the above programs and has the license to use them. Simultaneously, as a postgraduate student I have the right to use one of them in order to do my dissertation.

I must admit that the easiest way is to ask a Company for its software or my supervisor. However, I asked for your opinion since MATLAB is most suitable for dynamic simulation while PSS/E is more suitable for other simulations.

I would be grateful if anyone knows the advantages and disadvantages of each program and if he/she can answer me which software package is better for me to choose.

A straight answer with the reason why I should choose for example PSS/E rather MATLAB it will be enough to help me and make me feel obliged for ever! ;)

Thank you in advance

I am not knowledgeable about software for electric power generating, but here are some global ideas on the selection.

1. If you want to be employed in electrical power generation when you graduate it is an advantage to be able to use the software that will be used by you when employed.

2. If you use a more general purpose program, like matlab, you will get a better knowledge of the theory by having to write the software routines. This basic knowledge will benefit you over the next 40 years because it can be applied to new technological situations.

pscad and power world are suitable for ur problem i think

hi i would like to do a project based on smart grid or something related to energy conservation or generation.if we do so we will be funded with 3 lakhs for the project.my dead line is march 25.pls help me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back