Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind power charge coontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeller

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for a schematic for a wind power charge controller i.e for 12 volts battery that can protect from overloading the battery and reverse charging.Any ideas of any cheap controllers will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Last I heard, it's vital to keep an electrical load continually attached to the turbine generator. The load can be either your battery or a heating element.

An electrical load makes the generator hard to turn. With no load the turbine is free to spin wildly, resulting in ruined bearings. Or the blades can shatter, with danger to property and/or lives.

With that said: You can adapt any number of charge controller circuits. Such as for solar, etc.

You must design it to detect voltage on the battery. This is the easiest way to control charging.
Stop charging at 14.5 V. Or switch to taper charge above 14 V.
Or use hysteresis as a method of taper charging. Switch charge on and off between 13.5 and 14.5 V.

You'll probably need a diode to prevent reverse current flow.

When battery reaches full charge you must design the circuit to divert generator output to a load.

How do i convert solar charge controller to control my wind turbine electricity? The motor originally gave 12v ac but i have rectified it to give double 24 volts dc.

How do i convert solar charge controller to control my wind turbine electricity? The motor originally gave 12v ac but i have rectified it to give double 24 volts dc.

24 VDC was produced by my solar panels (with no load).
It's suitable for sending amps into a 12V battery.

A charge controller for solar panels will endure 24 V.

Besides handling the voltage specification, you need a controller that can carry the maximum current coming from your generator.

I have no direct experience with generators. The main caveat is that a controller for generators must be designed to select where it sends incoming current: into your battery or into a spare load. I'm not sure solar charge controllers have the function for switching current to a spare load.

You're really better off looking into a controller specifically designed for wind power or water power. You can probably find a schematic on the internet.

Example, Homepower.com has long been an excellent resource website.

It is a devise that regulates the current and or voltage that you can put into your battery or batteries.
It will not allow you to over charge and ruin your battery or batteries by controlling the voltage at the battery level. Once your battery or batteries are charged the controller kicks in and opens, diverts, or shunts the generator circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.