Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wilkinson power divider design

Status
Not open for further replies.

memox

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need to design wilkinson power divider. Operation frequency can be between 2-8 ghz.

i need to Ads systematic or pcb file.

Hi,

First of all you have wide BW so you must design the splitter from 3 or 4 stages for good performance.

How to do it? When I did it I start it [in ADS] schematics mode and only after I get good results pass to layuot and make Mometum simulation.

If you need some data material or something else talk to me!!!

Regards
David

This has been requested many times before. I found this topic using the EDAboard search for wilkinson:

Hi,

I also using Eagleware simulation and this simulator have signal control syntesis
him [simulator] could calculate exactly value of the transmision line and resistor value.
If you need that I calculate just give me you details about splitter I mean
and I will send it to you

David

hi david,
for my university project, i want to design a 2 way wilkinson power splitter. suggestions are that most of its work is in ADS but i m a beginner for ADS,
=> I need the splitter for the LO freq = 20 Ghz.

=> can u suggest some kind of tutorial for the design and layout etc. (i mean from step 0 to step end)

one thing also, i searched on the web and found 2 differet version of wilkinson power divider. 1. lumped elements and 2. distributed. so what makes difference b/w these two designs and which one would be much better lumped or distributed for such high frequency.

last thing, i m worried about the schematics. i dont know how to design all these things in ADS..
Please help me out

for 20G, you should use microstrip to make the wikinson power splitter. It is a hard work, and be careful about the mechanical design.

hey toni,
u mean to say not to apply lumped elements but the distributed component and hence we have to consider T/L length width etc.
my question is what is the reason for selecting microstrip for such a hight frequency, any pros or cons.

Regards

Because 20G wave length is only 15mm.

Hi

The reason that at u freq u must use microstrip (Planar) and not with lumped devices is that impossible to work with lumped devices
for example inductor have one of the parameters that called SRF, if u working above this freq inductor will behave like capacitor...

David

my question is what is the reason for selecting microstrip for such a hight frequency

Why purchase and place discrete components if the circuit function can be implemented with simple layout = no cost?

implementation with simple layout???
how could that be possible.. i am really sorry i did'nt got ur point. can u explain how..

i am really sorry i did'nt got ur point.

Let me try again: If you can realize the circuit function with a few transmission lines, why would you use expensive SMD components instead?

Hi,

I also using Eagleware simulation and this simulator have signal control syntesis
him [simulator] could calculate exactly value of the transmision line and resistor value.
If you need that I calculate just give me you details about splitter I mean
and I will send it to you

David

in Eagle i am not able to find any operation to simulate a schematics. isn't it just like paint OR Ms-Visio. can u explain how to claculate transmission lines and resistor values via EAGLE. where can i figure out this calculator and what things do we need for these type of calculations...

however I have also started working in ADS but since i am new to this tool, it will take long to understand many things.
can any one provide me a general schematic picture for a 2 way power divider (just want to take an idea which components should be used and where to place them exactly), i will calculate the parameters by my self for line width and length etc..

Regards

Cadsoft Eagle and Eagleware Genesys (now Agilent) are different programs.

2 way power divider (Wilkinson type):
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back