Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why when I want to use reg array and Initialize them, FPGA synthesis and bitstream takes too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackprogramer

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why when I want to use reg array and Initialize them, FPGA synthesis and bitstream take too long?
When I define some reg array and initialize them for big array size I understand bitstream can not build and stay in stage:
Current phase: Handling Custom attributes..... and I wait for 3 hours but this stage is not finished to go to the next stage...
For array size 256 it can be completed but for the sizes more than 256 I faced with a long time...
But FPGA is very advanced I am sure it should not be about to low resources...
Can any guide me?
How can initialize a big reg array in verilog?
Here I shared snippet of module code...
Code:
module verilog_test(input clk)
  //reg definition
  reg signed  [15:0]  data_i_buffer [1024:0];
  reg signed  [15:0]  data_buffer [1024:0];
  initial begin
       data_i_buffer[ 0 ]= -413 ;
       data_q_buffer[ 0 ]= -1424 ;
       data_i_buffer[ 1 ]= -280 ;
       data_q_buffer[ 1 ]= -1300 ;
       data_i_buffer[ 1024 ]= -780 ;
       data_q_buffer[ 1024 ]= -30 ;
   end
   always @(posedge clk) begin
       //To do a opreation
   end
end

Reactions: FvM

Solution
For array size 256 it can be completed but for the sizes more than 256 I faced with a long time...
Can any guide me?
This has nothing to do with how advanced an FPGA you are using, it has to do with the size of the logic necessary to implement the array.

16-bit values 1024 entries by 2 arrays.
As you named these arrays with an I and a Q in the names, I suspect this is being used as a constant array for something like filter coefficients, which means you are probably later in your usage of this array doing something like this:
x <= data_i_buffer[index];

Once you index into this array you are...
Are you trying to implement register array in logic cell registers or in block RAM? Both variants should provide power-on initialization without consuming much resources. There are however exceptions like FPGA families that don't support initialized block RAM in some configurations (e.g. Intel MAX10).

I rather expect that normal (clocked) operation of the register array is consuming unexpected large amount of resources and synthesis time.

If the intended (or unintended) implementation of the 16 kb memory is in logic cells registers, a huge routing overhead and respective large synthesis time can be expected anyway.

Address range of 0:1024 is ineffective, at least for block RAM.

We'd need to know more about design function.

Are you trying to implement register array in logic cell registers or in block RAM? Both variants should provide power-on initialization without consuming much resources. There are however exceptions like FPGA families that don't support initialized block RAM in some configurations (e.g. Intel MAX10).

I rather expect that normal (clocked) operation of the register array is consuming unexpected large amount of resources and synthesis time.

If the intended (or unintended) implementation of the 16 kb memory is in logic cells registers, a huge routing overhead and respective large synthesis time can be expected anyway.

Address range of 0:1024 is ineffective, at least for block RAM.

We'd need to know more about design function.
I don't have any RAM, I only have two reg arrays and I want to initialize them. my question can be asked in another way.
How can I initialize the reg array in Verilog and FPGA kintex7.....

I think your problem is not about initialisation itself but rather about logic associated with such large register array. You need to implement it in ram.

Can any guide me?
This has nothing to do with how advanced an FPGA you are using, it has to do with the size of the logic necessary to implement the array.

16-bit values 1024 entries by 2 arrays.
As you named these arrays with an I and a Q in the names, I suspect this is being used as a constant array for something like filter coefficients, which means you are probably later in your usage of this array doing something like this:
x <= data_i_buffer[index];

Once you index into this array you are creating a multiplexer. There are 16 1024-to1 multiplexers required to implement even one of these arrays. Using a simple implementation in a 6-input LUT FPGA you would require:
1st stage: 1024/4= 256 4-to-1 muxes
2nd stage: 256/4 = 64 4-to-1 muxes
3rd stage: 64/4 = 16 4-to-1 muxes
4th stage: 16/4 = 4 4-to-1 muxes
5th stage: 4/4 = 1 4-to-1 mux

With 16 bits in each word to multiplex:
(256+64+16+4+1)*16 = 5456 LUTs
For 2 arrays being used 10912 LUTs are required just to implement the indexing into the array.

From what I've seen these types of large structures generally cause synthesis headaches as the synthesis tools seem to try and optimize the multiplexer tree. If you insist on using registers to store this (instead of a block RAM, which is what you should be storing such an array in) then I would build a structural multiplexer tree, perhaps even using CLB primitives, to reduce synthesis times.

IMO I would limit any logic based multiplexer to 64 inputs or less if possible and anything above that would end up in a RAM block.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back