Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why we use IO pad for chip designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

alokkmr18

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello every one...
thanks in advance

my ques :
1) why we use IO pads when we go for chip designing from RTL to LAyOUT level ...

2) why we use give single inputs to io pads & taking single output from IO pads.

IO pads could drive more capacitance.
1) I don't understand, you should simulated the RTL with IO pads.
2) ? dont understand your txt

actually ..i m working on ASIC design flow during my internship ...i designed RTL of time to digital converter in VHDL in ise(xilinx software) without using IO pads , then after simulation synthesis of rtl is done on DESIGN COMPiLER (synopsys) , where i get : slack (met) : 39998.21ns , total cell area : 10171.224023 , total dynamic power : 34.9620nw , cell leakage power : 20.3732 nw

RESULTS of RTL design with IO pADS : slack (met) : 39998.60ns , total cell area : 185904.372275 , total dynamic power : 97.7921nw , cell leakage power : 227.5925 nw

actually my mentor told me that ..for designing purpose.... RTL with IO pads is good ..

And what is your question?

my ques : why we use io pad for designing ,
For chip designing , is it necessary to use IO pads , can't we go with our RTL design up to layout becoz i above mention in my previous post timing, Area & power with or without IO
IO pad will increase these timing,Area & power factor . for chip we are design , that should be less timing ,less area consumes & less power dissipation .

and what are advantage of io pad for chip designing ..

std cell coul not drive a PCB wire, or connection between two chips on a PCB.
The IO are stronger buffers, and also special ESD structure.
The bound pad are not mandatory, only the active pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back