Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why we need TCAM memories ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balasekar

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is mean by TCAM memories? why we need specially in network chip? please explain the function of that memories ?:| is that power hungry?

Thank You adee,
Your are correct I already went through this wiki page, this another link is helped me more of understanding TCAM . My questions is TCAM is power hungry and why wee need that instead of binary memories ?and what is reason for storing "X" instead of 1s and 0s only in network chip? any specific reason?

Hello,

I think answer is given inside the link already :
"TCAM is much faster than RAM. However, it is not widely used in most electronics because it is expensive to build, consumes a lot of power and generates a high level of heat that must be dissipated.
TCAM is commonly found in networking equipment, such as high-performance routers and switches, to increase the speed of route look-up, packet classification, packet forwarding and access control list-based commands."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back