Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why use Gate Driver ICs???? and some other confusions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammad Zubair

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have some confusions regarding Inverter

1) Why use Gate Driver ICs like IR2110/2 for driving IGBTs and MOSFETs???
What is their significance???

2) Can I use optocouplers in place of gate driver ICs???

3) If I use a set of p type IGBT as HI side and n type IGBT at lowside, then why do i not need Gate driver ICs???

4) What is the difference between behaviour of IGBTs and MOSFETs like when they conduct and when they don't and etc???

Are these homework quetions?

1) Gate driver IC has high output current for fast switching.
2) Opto's are used for isolation not for driving the gates.
3) It has been a long time since i looked at this issue but there were several reasons at the time. P type mosfets were hard to buy in higher current and voltage, and they were more expensive. Also you can easily turn the P type on but turning it off easily you had to use a pull up resistor and that is slow.
4) mosfet can have very low on resistance, igbt uses a transistor for the output so it always has 1.2 to 2.8 volts or so drop on it. But the igbt can switch high voltage and high current.

Status
Not open for further replies.