Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why use a Rework Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xibalban

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Firstly, I am a complete novice, and I haven't built a single electronic circuit except for:
  • Assembled an astable multivibrator on a veroboard once
  • Salvaged parts out of old electronic gadgets
  • Repaired a few amplifier circuits for my neighbours
  • ...and soldered a few passive components

I currently own a 25 W Soldering Iron (unbranded), some length of flux-core solder wire, and flux paste.

I would, however, desire to delve seriously into DIY and wish to obtain the following:
  • A soldering station with good quaility iron
  • Hot air too for heat shrinking, glueing, etc
  • A desoldering equipment
  • Good tool set/kit which would include screw-drivers, wire-strippers, etc
  • Panavise/PCB Holder
  • A simulator software for Windows 7

Could you experienced fellas suggest some brands with links for the above, please. Perhaps,you could very well list your own indispensable items that you enjoy using everyday here.
Most importantly, do I (an amateur, novice, etc) really require those items?

PS: I saw an ATTEN 8586 2-in-1 Station at a good price, but cannot decide whether I require it after-all.

Unless you work with SMT components a lot, having fancy tools isn't usually necessary. Weller makes solid general-purpose soldering stations (model WES51) which are a good deal for DIY level stuff.

For reworking SMT components, I prefer metcal irons. They are relatively expensive but they last practically forever and perform very well. You can often find good deals on ebay.

For hot air, I wouldn't spend more than $150. The market is flooded with cheap units which are all built with the same parts, and any of them work fine for producing hot air.

However I would definitely avoid all 2-in-1 stations, since the soldering irons that come with them are universally garbage.

If you have a bit of cash to spend a small rework station can be a godsend.
I havn't seen the ATTEN station but at home I use a duratool zd-917
(if in UK the cpc code sd01386 price about #120 GBP)
The temp control is fast and pretty accurate and I love the desolder gun.
As a tip buy a couple of extra cleaning tools (very cheap but handy)

I dont have a surface mount station at home but if this is anything to go by the duratool
would be the one I would look at - (sd01694 cpc again at about #75 GBP)

The cpc catalogue also has a range by "tenma" and of course there is weller
if you want to spend a bit more (add about #100 gbp)

Pace also do some but I cant see an integrated solder/desolder combo.

I tend to do prototypes on veroboard quite a bit and having dodgy eyesight means
lots of desoldering! I couldn't live without mine now.

When buying something like that it might be worth buying a few extra tips
and maybe a spare element and filters just in case they ever become hard to get.

Unless you work with SMT components a lot, having fancy tools isn't usually necessary. Weller makes solid general-purpose soldering stations (model WES51) which are a good deal for DIY level stuff.

For reworking SMT components, I prefer metcal irons. They are relatively expensive but they last practically forever and perform very well. You can often find good deals on ebay.

For hot air, I wouldn't spend more than $150. The market is flooded with cheap units which are all built with the same parts, and any of them work fine for producing hot air.

However I would definitely avoid all 2-in-1 stations, since the soldering irons that come with them are universally garbage.

Thanks, and I am inclined to agree with you. My instincts said the same things. Hence, I thought about either a Hakko 888 or Weller 51. A problem is I couldn't find a 220-240 V, 50 Hz compatible Hakko and the Weller was too hard on my pocket. I just have about $85 (including shipping) assigned for the station.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a bit of cash to spend a small rework station can be a godsend.
I havn't seen the ATTEN station but at home I use a duratool zd-917
(if in UK the cpc code sd01386 price about #120 GBP)
The temp control is fast and pretty accurate and I love the desolder gun.
As a tip buy a couple of extra cleaning tools (very cheap but handy)

I dont have a surface mount station at home but if this is anything to go by the duratool
would be the one I would look at - (sd01694 cpc again at about #75 GBP)

The cpc catalogue also has a range by "tenma" and of course there is weller
if you want to spend a bit more (add about #100 gbp)

Pace also do some but I cant see an integrated solder/desolder combo.

I tend to do prototypes on veroboard quite a bit and having dodgy eyesight means
lots of desoldering! I couldn't live without mine now.

When buying something like that it might be worth buying a few extra tips
and maybe a spare element and filters just in case they ever become hard to get.

Thank you for the post. The dilemma that I have/had is "The hot air tool could be useful somewhere, sometime" but couldn't risk my hard earned pennies on a cheapo 2-in-1 and the ATTEN 8586 definitely is one.

Thank you for the post. The dilemma that I have/had is "The hot air tool could be useful somewhere, sometime" but couldn't risk my hard earned pennies on a cheapo 2-in-1 and the ATTEN 8586 definitely is one.

I hear that. I'm just waiting for the day I have to "suddenly" do SMT and don't have a hot air tool.
On the other hand next day delivery is always an option I guess.
I just took a look at the ATTEN - its seems to be a good value tool. I can see your interest in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back