Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why tri-state logic cannot be buffered

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogeret

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the book Advanced ASIC Chip Synthesis Edition 2 ( Chapter 5.4.4), it is said that Tri-state logic is difficult to optimize – since it cannot be buffered.
This can lead to max_fanout violations and heavily loaded nets.

Could Anyone explain it further why it cannot be buffered?

Thx!

Last edited:

Actually, there shouldn't exit any tri-state (nor bi-direction) logic within a digital chip, if you're using cell base design. Tri-state logic can just exit on IO PAD. For tri-state logic within a chip, there will be many headache. And Tri-state logic within a chip can be easily replace by two one-direction logic.
The headache maybe: multi-drive of the same wire, un-drive of the wire, causing metastable of the gates afer that wire. Then may casuing thermo problem because of the un-driven of logic cell input pins.

Maybe its right, because when i use FPGA I cannot see any tri-state except on PAD.
Could u give me some materials about the headache caused by it? I want to know where and why to or not to use it in detail.

There is situation when few drivers want to access a bus. So, when 1 driver accessed, the rest of the driver need to be high-z.

So, when 1 driver accessed, the rest of the driver need to be high-z.

If you have buffer in btwn driver and bus, can you make sure it is high-z?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back